Rod's Food vs. LRS Reef Frenzy (Larry's Reef Services) - What is the Difference? or are they the Sam

Do you use Rod's Food or LRS Reef Frenzy?

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this article on Reefbuilders.com

LRS Reef Frenzy review: There?s a reason reefers and marine fish love this food

Jake Adams is raving about this stuff but I nor anybody I talk to in Michigan has ever heard of it.

It appears to be just like Rod's Food except it is 5.00 more.

Here in Michigan everyone uses Rod's Food which is for Fish but has fine Particled Coral Food too.

This is the same thing the article Raves about.

Has anybody tried this Food as well as Rod's that can tell me the difference and why or why not they like one over the other.

I added a Poll so Please Vote on Which Frozen Food you use.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are very difficult for me to get since my closest lfs is 45 minutes away (minimum with little traffic). They carried Rods food but no LRS. My fish and corals liked Rods food but seem to like my homemade version better. I would really love to try LRS however.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both a lot, and while I prefer making my own food, LRS is much closer to that in my opinion. My fish liked both, but I noticed less clouding of the water with the LRS, and it was more real chunks of fish/shellfish.

Again, though, you can make your own for a fraction of what it costs you.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually started using LRS fish frenzy because it was the only food that fit my need (butterfly and angel filled FOWLR). I don't have large predators, and I'm not feeding a reef, so I don't want any "extra coral food" type particulates that come with many brands of reef blends. I love this food because there is really no filler. My fish eat everything, straight out of the freezer, with zero effect on my skimmer. So as a busy professional, that was getting extremely tired of gourmet feeding my fish freshly mince clams, scallops, shrimps (literally, I was taking more time to feed the fish than myself), I loved Larry's option.

I have no clue why this is a comparison to another food though. I have not used Rod's food. I'm sure it's great. Why not use both? I use many brands of foods. I also have no idea why Michigan is mentioned so much (you know it's a national forum, right?). I'm sure it's great also, but I prefer San Diego, CA :D

Last edited:

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both and my fish seem to prefer LRS. When you thaw LRS there isn't all that reddish brown water like there is with Rod's. When I put it in my tank it doesn't cloud up like Rod's either. Both are probably good, but I will continue to use LRS from now on.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through just about every food imaginable and have settled on LRS reef frenzy. Absolutely love it!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really know much about rods but a fellow reefer said he uses it since his tank is to clean for larrys. He likes to add a bit dirtier food. Now me I seem to have algea issues so I use Larrys since it's definitely the cleanest food on the market. He spoke at one of our club meetings. It's all fresh seafood with no added phosphate as a preservative. from what he told us even some of the seafood at your grocery store uses the added phosphate to keep the fish looking better. So if your gonna make you own going to a seafood market is probably a good Idea. Living on the coast I have a million places with fresh seafood. Alot of the boats when they go out are out for a week so by the time they get back their seafood is already a week old.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually started using LRS fish frenzy because it was the only food that fit my need (butterfly and angel filled FOWLR). I don't have large predators, and I'm not feeding a reef, so I don't want any "extra coral food" type particulates that come with many brands of reef blends. I love this food because there is really no filler. My fish eat everything, straight out of the freezer, with zero effect on my skimmer. So as a busy professional, that was getting extremely tired of gourmet feeding my fish freshly mince clams, scallops, shrimps (literally, I was taking more time to feed the fish than myself), I loved Larry's option.

I have no clue why this is a comparison to another food though. I have not used Rod's food. I'm sure it's great. Why not use both? I use many brands of foods. I also have no idea why Michigan is mentioned so much (you know it's a national forum, right?). I'm sure it's great also, but I prefer San Diego, CA :D

I know it is a National (Actually Worldwide) Forum.

It is just nobody here seems to use LRS.

I think Rod's is in the Chicago area and LRS in the South Carolina area.

So I thought that maybe it was a regional thing (That they distribute mostly in their part of the country).

Michigan is close to Chicago and sometimes there is a Rod's Food Booth at Local Frag Swaps.

I asked my LFS (They sell Rod's) about it to try it and they said that they never heard of it but they have been selling Rod's for Years Now.

I do not have a way of getting LRS to try so I was just curious.

Last edited:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a regional thing. He's on the east coast, but I can get it here. Pretty sure he has a map of places that sell it on his website. I'm not sure why your LFS can't get it for you.... just because they haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist :).

I know it is a National (Actually Worldwide) Forum.

It is just nobody here seems to use LRS.

I think Rod's is in the Chicago area and LRS in the South Carolina area.

So I thought that maybe it was a regional thing (That they distribute mostly in their part of the country).

Michigan is close to Chicago and sometimes there is a Rod's Food Booth at Local Frag Swaps.

I asked my LFS (They sell Rod's) about it to try it and they said that they never heard of it but they have been selling Rod's for Years Now.

I do not have a way of getting LRS to try so I was just curious.

Last edited:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, It's been used to feed everything from CB personatus angels to all sorts of rare fish. I'd highly recommend trying It. I personally love the stuff.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LRS to feed corals and fish. My fish go nuts over it and its very clean like others have said. I use a lot of other foods so that my tank dosn't have the same thing every day but LRS is my favorite

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I love LRS. I posted a poll about what everyone's favorite frozen food was and LRS was by far the most popular. As far as the difference...no idea, I have never look at the ingredients of either.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no store carry lrs near you he will sell it directly to you but may have to buy alot. I don't know the amount. I think it's atleast 5 pouches.

Pumbooris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 packs is only about $100 plus whatever shipping would be. Its really good food I use both Rods (when I can get it) and LRS (fishfrenzy,reeffrenzy,and seaweed) and the LRS is definitely cleaner. Im sure the LFS in Michigan just has a loyalty to rods since they have sold it so long.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rod's Food vs. LRS Reef Frenzy (Larry's Reef Services) - What is the Differen...

What?!! I live in the U.P. Of Michigan. Been using Reef Frenzy for two years. Just ran out and our LFS does not sell it. So now I'm stuck feeding Rods-yuck!!! I hate this food period!!
However Larry told me he will ship directly to me 4-8oz packs for $94. For the best, cleanest and healthiest frozen food ever not a problem. That would be 2-3yrs worth of food for my tank-lol. So as soon as the funds become available, that is what I'll do :)

Last edited:

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started with LRS, been using Rods for last 2 yrs.

But I always had to strain rods,

LRS I do not have to. My fish go nuts for it and seem more vibrant and more active.

There it's no lfs near by that carries it, and while making a run to airport in Los Angeles I went to 1 of only 3 or 4 stores in California that carry it and pu...4 packs.

8 hrs round trip for LRS food.

But I will do it again went I'm out...

Really good food.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably due to location, I bet if you ask your LFS they will get it for you. Down in south flordia it's everywhere. Rogger's use to be big but LRS is coming up. I see most LFS carry all three brands plus the more known frozen.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I love LRS. I posted a poll about what everyone's favorite frozen food was and LRS was by far the most popular. As far as the difference...no idea, I have never look at the ingredients of either.

Do you have a Link to that Poll so I can take a look at it?

Back