aiptasia anemone help!

cbates425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys
have a question regarding aiptasia anemones, just some background info to start i have a 40 breeder w/ a 29g tall sump currently running. been up about two years now and have never had any issues with aiptasia or other nusicence critters. well the girlfriend bought me a 93g cube for christmas! so I'm currently getting it drilled and getting ready to make the switch. well a local store is going out of business and since i needed more rock to scape the 93g i splurged and bought some liverock... i saw some aiptasia but it was ONLY $0.80 cents a pound for liverock with lots of sponge and coralline algae so i figured it'd be worth a try to get it cleaned up. i currently have the rock in heated 5 gallon buckets with lights, the very few I've seen I've chipped out and tossed. what do you guys think i should do to kill these suckers? peppermint shrimp in the buckets or should i put the rock in my sump and then peppermint in the sump? idea are greatly appreciated. thanks!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joes juice works wonders.
some peppermint shrimp will not eat the aphasia. I had a file fish that loved the stuff, and also left the corals in my tank alone.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say if you've never had them in your display that you should NOT put the rock in your system at all until you're sure it has none on it. It would be really easy to end up with them in your display since all it would take is their evil minuscule spawn traveling up your return pump. I'd say keep them in the 5 gallon buckets for now...or I might would even totally nuke the rock to be sure I kill them all and then just cycle it again before adding it to the tank.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Berghia before when they got out of hand and they worked well, but for only a couple I use aiptasia-x and it works pretty well. But prevention is best of course! Even after the berghia there were still some little ones they must have missed and I have to put the x on them when I see one. I have also used the shrimp and that is what I would do here. Get a couple and let them live with the rock a while. Not all peppermints will eat it, but I would try.

Last edited:

dmjr1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a file fish that did an amazing job. No aptasia problems here ! He's in my buddy's reef now munching on his out break of aptasia.

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a CopperBand butterfly and it took care of my 20+ aptasia within a couple weeks. I was going to give him to a fellow reefer on the boards but he took right to frozen foods and hasn't nipped at any of my corals so he may stick around. However I did bolster my CUC by buying 10 snails the other day and the CBB would not leave them alone. They are all moving around and doing their job buti don't think many of the new arrivals have their antenas anymore because they became a CBB snack.

Torture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joes juice works wonders.
some peppermint shrimp will not eat the aphasia. I had a file fish that loved the stuff, and also left the corals in my tank alone.

I am getting sick of those little pests, I have tried several things and they always come back, and multiply.
I will give joe´s juice a try, at least reviews are great.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting sick of those little pests, I have tried several things and they always come back, and multiply.
I will give joe´s juice a try, at least reviews are great.
The trick is to turn off all the pumps and powerheads. lower the applicator into the tank slowly, and then lightly apply it. after the face is covered, then cover the whole thing in the chemical. after 15-20 min turn your pumps back on and watch them evaporate. .

Theescotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this goes along with this topic, these pics are from a friends tank. And I think that it is aiptasia but I just want to make sure, here's a couple of pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420172339.724829.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420172353.424447.jpg

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are places that sell peppermints that are soley fed aptasia.:)

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeftopia sells florida keys variety known for aptasia control.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on berghia. The only issue I had with them was they don't seem to intelligent. I know they probably aren't but when I got them I stopped kalk pasting a let them do their job. The 2 I had got most of them and then died off. They only eat aptasia so they die when there are no more. I still had some aptasia. So kalk paste some of the ones you see anyways. They never touched the ones on my frag rack even though I would see them on the glass

Joel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expand on this a little more, please? Was this you personal experience? What types of coral specifically?

Share your story. :)
Sure yes it was my experience. I bought 3 peppermint shrimp one dissappear right away haha the other two took cake of the aptasia. Once that was gone they were good for a couple weeks then my 400 dollar 13 head rainbow acan started looking bad I though it was my tank and thought nothing of it. Within a week it was down to 4 heads put it on the rack and then my 15+ Duncan was looking bad along with a nice hammer that lasted about 2 days then my Duncan was down to 5-6 bad looking heads. I still thought it was something with my tank. Acan started to look good on the rack moved it back down to sand gone within 2 weeks. I did see them eat g the stuff after I was like it can't be my water. Looked in there at night to see them munching on acan and sign coral tried catching them for the next month nothing worked. I ended up putting a glass Upside-down with a little air pocket and food floated 1 went right up and in and I got him. Then he escape while I was trying to slide net under the glass. Well I got both a couple days later with same method. Now everything is starting to recover but acan and hammer are toast also 3 heads of a toxic torch gone. Never again with shrimp haha

erickruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an out break on new live rock and jetting them with boiling water did the trick.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back