Standard Tank vs Shallow Tank

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking at adding a new tank and have been loving the shallow(er) tanks lately. But one thing I cannot seem to find is if the shallow tanks have issues that your standard size tanks don't have. I recently found a 100 gallon build that was 6 feet long and loved it because I hate reaching into a 2 foot deep aquarium and going up to my shoulder in water :), but I love the large water volume. What are some pros and cons that you have seen/experienced with shallow tanks. I am also wondering how the flow would differ in a longer and shallower setup.

For those that may ask, shallow(er) is completely relative and can be anything you consider shallow that is deeper than 13".

Thanks,

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine a shallower tank is harder to aquascape for front viewing. With a high and wide tank you can get nice dimensions and layers of scaping. When the tank is shallow and wide, it seems like you might be limited IMO. Advantage of shallow tank (that wasn't mentioned) would be top viewing which would be cool.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love shallow tanks, I'm about to start a build that's 48x24x12. I love that they give you a large footprint, but a smaller volume of water to maintain. Island scapes look amazing on them, and equipment costs much less because you have a smaller water volume.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow tanks are great for top viewing, and they're great for not having to put your arm up to the shoulder into the tank to get to the bottom.
I went from a 4'x2'x16" rimless tank to a standard 120. I loved the look and dimensions of the rimless, but I found the rimless tank a PITA to work in (water sloshes all over the place). The open top also evaporated like crazy. It was a beautiful tank to look into from above. I like the depth of the 120 I have now, but it's certainly a different look - taller stand, taller tank, with a canopy.

And I do hate putting my arm up to the shoulder into this tank.

Last edited:

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer shallow but you have to be careful when cleaning the tank so you don't push water out. There are some little tricks that you'll learn as you go though.

With a tall tank you almost have to create the old school rock wall to fill the space. I don't like the look. I would go deeper (front to back) with minimal rock scape.

Other issue I have with my shallows 16" is placement of the vortechs. On my 90 they're just above everything but in my two 80gs I have to be more careful not to directly blast my corals.

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tanks. One is 24" deep, one 18" and one 16" deep. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The advantage with the 24 deep is you can go higher with the rock and it makes the tank look taller than it actually is. Plus you can put low light corals on the sand bed. In a shallow it's a little harder to put low light corals in due to not having the depth. But with a shallow tank it's much easier to work in and you are able to get things fixed easier without getting soaked. As with most things in this hobby it's all about preference and which one best fits your needs and budget.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my shallow tank, but I want more vertical space. The grass, it is always greener

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 498
OP
OP
lyscer

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, this is great feedback and I really appreciate everyone's replies so far

ARVERLY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 24" tall tank, a 20" tank, and now a 12" tank!

The 12" shallow tank is by far my favorite! Though my next tank will be 16" tall!

Check out my current build :)

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish i had a shallow, lol.
i too have to get shoulder length into the tank to reach the sand bed and move things...

Clapp'sCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the right rocks you can make any aquascape awesome in any tank. If they aren't working out, hit them hammer a few times and make some new shapes! Maintenance is the same on any tank regardless of footprint, get the right equipment and know how and you're golden. With the longer length you're just going to want more powerful powerheads to keep the water flowing nicely across the whole length. Shallow tanks are awesome for reef tanks especially if you're in there all the time messing with corals and such (personal opinion)

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the right rocks you can make any aquascape awesome in any tank. If they aren't working out, hit them hammer a few times and make some new shapes! Maintenance is the same on any tank regardless of footprint, get the right equipment and know how and you're golden. With the longer length you're just going to want more powerful powerheads to keep the water flowing nicely across the whole length. Shallow tanks are awesome for reef tanks especially if you're in there all the time messing with corals and such (personal opinion)

Taller tank, set it and forget it => recommend better for corals. shallow tank set it and mess with it all the time => not recommend bad for corals.

Back