Question about setting up tank.

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about finished with my stand and I am starting to think about my tank. 60g. cube. Do I need to put styrofoam under it on top of the stand. Someone told me that I have to do that. If so, what is the reasoning behind it, if it would be sitting on a piece of plywood anyway?
Thanks,
Ed

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally, the styrofoam/tank mat, is used for tanks that are rimless or have no bottom trim. The reason being, that is helps to spread out any irregularities in the stand and dispersses the pressure to the entire bottom of the tank. At least, thats my general impression.

OP
OP
R

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It makes sense. I wish I would have know that before I built my stand. Now I'm not sure how its gonna look with the tank sitting an inch above the plywood top. Oh well, I guess I have to live with it.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It makes sense. I wish I would have know that before I built my stand. Now I'm not sure how its gonna look with the tank sitting an inch above the plywood top. Oh well, I guess I have to live with it.

theres always a fix. post pics and im sure the creative solutions will come flying in. you could just add some new trim to the stand.

OP
OP
R

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 photos of the stand with the styrofoam on top. I edged it with 1/4" plywood, but I still don't like it. Any ideas? Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 85

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of tank is this? i dont see a spot for the overflow?

how thick is the top of that stand? you could get a thinner neoprene mat, and route out/inset the mat into the top of the stand.

OP
OP
R

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't cut out for the overflow in the mat yet. It is in the back right corner. The top has a 1/4" maple plywood on top of a 3/4" piece of maple plywood.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go get some door trim and nail it on the faces. You can also do something on the bottom also to finish it off.
Edit: I didn't notice your tank is smaller than your stand.

Last edited:

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't cut out for the overflow in the mat yet. It is in the back right corner. The top has a 1/4" maple plywood on top of a 3/4" piece of maple plywood.

im back to my original suggestion. get some of the neoprene tank mat, and route out the tank size in the top. inlay the mat and call it done.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back