My Tank Schedule

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding, dosing, testing, water changing schedule. What do you think? Need to get a iodide test kit before I start dosing the Vibrance.

I've been using the rest of this schedule for two weeks now and I think I've got it how I like it.

IMG_8388.jpg

Tank is 8 gallons. :)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your tank?

Test results?
Whole system setup?
Size?

Seems like a lot of nutrients- tbd.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread.
Nice tank.

I personally would not add phyto yet.. If ever.

Be careful of the amino acids / fuels etc.
Go slow with them as they can cause phos.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread.
Nice tank.

thanks! the phyto has helped the pods a ton, and with the rescued scooter blenny, seemed helpful. but I'm glad to say he will be in his permanent home tomorrow, in a much larger tank with an infinite supply of pods!

the phyto hasn't boosted my phosphates or has had any other ill effect yet.

and yes! my ex doses Fuel way too much and had an explosion of hair algae. that dose is cut in half of what the recommended dose is, and hence the 2x weekly water changes to keep the phos down for the nem, and the phosgaurd in the back!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does Looks great.

The only thing I do different (besides the phyto), is do my feedings the night prior to WC, & test right before also to know the chemical variances from the previous WC.

I have a free app that is great to track everything from testing, graphs, expenses, livestock etc...

Aquarimate- its a nice tool.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does Looks great.

The only thing I do different (besides the phyto), is do my feedings the night prior to WC, & test right before also to know the chemical variances from the previous WC.

I have a free app that is great to track everything from testing, graphs, expenses, livestock etc...

Aquarimate- its a nice tool.

sweet thanks!

yeah the only reason my water tests are on Wednesdays is because I work every Wednesday no matter what, so I dan just bring in a water sample with me. I don't have all the testing kits at home. but I can always just run to work for a second.

and thanks! I'll definitely have to check that out! I like to keep everything organized as much as possible.

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! the phyto has helped the pods a ton, and with the rescued scooter blenny, seemed helpful. but I'm glad to say he will be in his permanent home tomorrow, in a much larger tank with an infinite supply of pods!

How's the Blenny doing? Does it eat anything besides the pods?

Calmbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks! My friend just picked one up but doesn't have any pods in his tank. I worry about it getting enough proper food.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks! My friend just picked one up but doesn't have any pods in his tank. I worry about it getting enough proper food.

no problem! tell him to try arcti pods by reef nutrition, Rods food, and to start dosing phyto and hide some cheato somewhere if he doesn't have a fuge!

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread.
Nice tank.

Just curious: Why would you not or never add phytoplankton? It is incredibly beneficial for a variety of invertebrates including crustaceans like copepods, amphipods and isopods, especially if you are getting a tank ready for predators that like to eat live animal prey items. I agree with you when you say "go slow"; very good advice. It's better to be conservative then it is to lose animals to overfeeding.

Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem! tell him to try arcti pods by reef nutrition, Rods food, and to start dosing phyto and hide some cheato somewhere if he doesn't have a fuge!
Do you use Arcti-Pods regularly? Just curious to know how your animals do with them in the dietary regime.

Chad

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious: Why would you not or never add phytoplankton? It is incredibly beneficial for a variety of invertebrates including crustaceans like copepods, amphipods and isopods, especially if you are getting a tank ready for predators that like to eat live animal prey items. I agree with you when you say "go slow"; very good advice. It's better to be conservative then it is to lose animals to overfeeding.

Chad

In this particular instance, I personally thought the dose of every day was high.

I am a believer in add critters as needed, like any pod / invertebrates, like after a cycle, when algae phase in starting in, when the tank itself can support the life.

I think a mature tank has sufficient amount of food for these creatures to graze on if maintained / nutrient balanced properly.

They are essentially a food source & cuc, a tool, to add excessive nutrients to a tank in support of a tool can become counterproductive, now I agree with proper control as needed, phyto can lead to positive results. But let face it, most tanks are not ULN and can't nor need to support extra phytoplankton.

Especially in small systems where export is limited.

I do love and use your products, but when new reefers start adding foods in excess or little knowledge of control to feed an animal of this sort, instead if letting the tank just come to equilibrium with itself and mature, it can lead to disaster.

Sorry, but it goes along the lines of people adding excessive snails, urchins, & fish to combat an algae, when they have an inch of detritus under their rocks,....as an example.

Is it beneficial, definitely yes, but more controlled and probably with more experience balancing nutrients. Each tank and thread will have and should have different opinions based on the facts. I have one tank where I should be adding phyto, another... Not so much.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this particular instance, I personally thought the dose of every day was high.

I am a believer in add critters as needed, like any pod / invertebrates, like after a cycle, when algae phase in starting in, when the tank itself can support the life.

I think a mature tank has sufficient amount of food for these creatures to graze on if maintained / nutrient balanced properly.

They are essentially a food source & cuc, a tool, to add excessive nutrients to a tank in support of a tool can become counterproductive, now I agree with proper control as needed, phyto can lead to positive results. But let face it, most tanks are not ULN and can't nor need to support extra phytoplankton.

Especially in small systems where export is limited.

I do love and use your products, but when new reefers start adding foods in excess or little knowledge of control to feed an animal of this sort, instead if letting the tank just come to equilibrium with itself and mature, it can lead to disaster.

Sorry, but it goes along the lines of people adding excessive snails, urchins, & fish to combat an algae, when they have an inch of detritus under their rocks,....as an example.

Is it beneficial, definitely yes, but more controlled and probably with more experience balancing nutrients. Each tank and thread will have and should have different opinions based on the facts. I have one tank where I should be adding phyto, another... Not so much.

I'm right there with you; every system is different and baby steps are key. I'm also glad that you see merit, as I do, in using phytoplankton. I think that if the hobbyist is consistent with water quality testing, water changes and is using the proper filtration, feeding phytoplankton, or any other quality feed, can be very beneficial for the system and its inhabitants. I always like to say that the food doesn't pollute the tank, we do.

Chad

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use Arcti-Pods regularly? Just curious to know how your animals do with them in the dietary regime.

Chad

I do not use them regularly! I think they're really great for fish with small mouths that are picky eaters though. (mandarins, butterflies, leopard wrasses)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back