Aqueon proflex model 4 issues

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqueon model 4 sump and its bowing a lot in the fuge section. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? The lid on the fuge section is barely on...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? Can you post a picture? I thought these sumps were supposed to bow some, is this a new development?

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'be had it for about 5 months. I bought it from a friend and it has no cracks or damage. I understand that it may bow naturally but it's bowing to the point where the top to the mid section is barely on and I'm concerned... I'll take a picture in a bit when I get a chance

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419216235.891919.jpg

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned as long as the baffles on either side of that section are still fully bonded. Check all four seams. If it's good, so are you. If not I would drain and glue asap. If you can not get Weldon acrylic glue super glue bonds just as well and strong but leaves a milky haze at the joint. Good luck

Last edited:

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralife light that fits right on top

I would avoid placing any light directly on top of an acrylic tank. My T5 fixture on my 90g sits on the glass top. When one of the sections broke I used some acrylic I had and it warped fairly quickly. That might not be your issue but heat and plastic/acrylic is not a good mix.

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lis that goes on top of the aqueon sump isn't acrylic I don't think... It's the sides that are bowing out a bit that has me concerned.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light you have is designed for that sump.
First Central Pet and Garden (Aqueon's parent company) does a ton of product testing and abusing before market. I don't think that's the cause. Second if it is...I would be surprised if they'd take care of you. Topic for another thread but I have seen them go way above and beyond more than once. I'd say it's just normal bowing.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's just normal bowing.

A properly designed sump shouldn't suffer from "normal bowing". I took a good luck at my Proflex 4 this morning and the acrylic is on the thin side. It has a lot of give in the middle section. There are number of small design issue with the sump in my opinion, and the thickness of the acrylic is one of them. With a high water levels in the first two sections there is quite a lot of pressure on the outside walls.

I am going to drill two small holes at the top on either side of the tank and insert a brace to relieve the pressure.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to admend that. Normal bowing for an AQUEON SUMP. of course others won't. You get what you pay for. Spend a grand on a sump and it won't bow spend a couple hundred and it will

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thickness of the acrylic is an issue if you max out the depth on section two IMO. I have added a brace to mine before its installed under the tank.

OP
OP
A

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thickness of the acrylic is an issue if you max out the depth on section two IMO. I have added a brace to mine before its installed under the tank.

How is that brace working for you? Could you post a picture of it so I get an idea of what you did? Thanks

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that brace working for you? Could you post a picture of it so I get an idea of what you did? Thanks

Its working great. Its a 3/4 inch thick round pice of wournd like a broom handle, two 2" galvanised screws, four rubber washers, two metal washers. I drilled two small holes eitherside of the sump above the overflow side of the refugium, then placed the wood inside the refugium securing it with the screwss placing the rubber washers eitherside of the acrylic. It was also useful for hanging a filter net to stop refugium algae from going over into the pump compartment.

Will try and take a picture.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back