Water Weight Question

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about when I up size from my nano to a bigger tank. Do any of you ever worry about the weight of the tank filled with water and your floor? Am I just worrying about nothing? I am thinking about upsizing to a 30 gallon or 40 gallon.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere you live should be able to handle any tank up to 100 gallons. You can put a 30-40 gallon tank anywhere you want without worries. Well, unless you happen to live in a travel trailer............

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reinforced the floor under 90 and 120 gallon tanks in different rooms because the beams were running parallel to the tank and so most of the weight of each was on two joists in a home more than 100 years old.

It probably wasn't necessary, but it cost less than $10 to put a doubled 2 x 4 from the basement floor to the underside of one of the joists. :)

OP
OP
Vanessa O.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Trido. You made me smile. :)

Anywhere you live should be able to handle any tank up to 100 gallons. You can put a 30-40 gallon tank anywhere you want without worries. Well, unless you happen to live in a travel trailer............

OP
OP
Vanessa O.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. I will talk to my husband and ask him if he thinks we need to reinforce the floor. I don't want anything bigger than a 50 gallon for now. I heard water weight is around 8 pounds a gallon. If so, for a 50 gallon that would be around 400 pounds not including the live rock and sand weight. I am thinking out loud! :)

I reinforced the floor under 90 and 120 gallon tanks in different rooms because the beams were running parallel to the tank and so most of the weight of each was on two joists in a home more than 100 years old.

It probably wasn't necessary, but it cost less than $10 to put a doubled 2 x 4 from the basement floor to the underside of one of the joists. :)

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. I will talk to my husband and ask him if he thinks we need to reinforce the floor. I don't want anything bigger than a 50 gallon for now. I heard water weight is around 8 pounds a gallon. If so, for a 50 gallon that would be around 400 pounds not including the live rock and sand weight. I am thinking out loud! :)

Don't forget you'll lose a considerable amount of water due to water displacement when you add the sand and rocks :)
You also need to remember about the weight if the actual tank, the stand and sump if your using one. A glass tank can be surprisingly heavy. But with all that said, I don't see you having any issues. Our floors are designed to be tough :)

OP
OP
Vanessa O.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hadn't thought about that Tyler, thank you!

Don't forget you'll lose a considerable amount of water due to water displacement when you add the sand and rocks :)
You also need to remember about the weight if the actual tank, the stand and sump if your using one. A glass tank can be surprisingly heavy. But with all that said, I don't see you having any issues. Our floors are designed to be tough :)

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little concerned when I setup my 180 gallon tank because someone mentioned it might crack the tile in my house but thankfully it didn't. Also I was told that salt water weighs 8.5lbs per gallon

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You lose water weight, but the overall tank weight is higher due to sand and rocks than if it were water alone. :)

Back