Copepods

msujohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank that is finished cycling. I'd like to seed my tank with copepods. Do I add them to the refugium and/or tank? Do I need to get rid of my filter sock in my sump? Are there certain types of copepods that are better to buy? My intent is to get a mandarin in a year or so.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add them to both if you have enough. If you don't have fish or other predators yet, you should be fine splitting up a smaller amount. Other wise, add them to the sump and move some to the display once they get going, but they should start making their way over to the display on their own.
A filter sock will filter out the pods as well as the food that will feed them in the sump.

A mandarin may require culturing them if you don't wean it onto dry/prepared/frozen food. Some people do well without doing this and allow them to forage, but it really depends on the individual fish, the tank, other inhabitants, etc. From what I have seen prepared foods and culturing seems to be the way to go, but it takes work. I've been wanting one for a long time, but I won't be in a place to set up an ideal tank for awhile sill.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back