Carpet anemones

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's thoughts on adding a carpet nem to the reef tank? I picked one up it was so good of a price.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419299880.798553.jpg

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice haddoni! I love carpets. Just have to be careful because they eat fish. Especially haddoni. I had a 7" one take down a 5.5" scopas tang.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moon lights help immensely. Provides just enough light for the fish to avoid the anemone. They're not necessarily "aggressive" just very opportunistic. If a fish bumps into them odds are they're not letting go, but the fish (if healthy) have a decent chance of getting out of the carpet.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, moonlights won't change things that much, have had fish eaten with moonlights, without them.

Certain fish (( rock/sandbed dwelling ones, perching ones, etc )) have a better change of getting eaten. But, in the end, no fish is truly safe.

Oddly enough, I have found that when the anemones are NOT hosting clowns, there are less issues.

With all that being said, they are great, and have had at least one for the last 17+ years or so.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How open? Can you get a picture of the mouth?

I, personally, would hold off on feeding it for a couple of weeks. Give it time to settle in, and to make sure you aren't going to have to treat it.

bruin11av

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my sump. 12" blue. was in the reef tank for 3 years and ate abut 7-9 fish. In the end it will win. Anyone want it?

OP
OP
Djbrandriff150

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Yesterday it looked like it closed up and the body got smaller. To night it was back to the way it was. It even has a crab crawling around in it??? Black and white

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. Yesterday it looked like it closed up and the body got smaller. To night it was back to the way it was. It even has a crab crawling around in it??? Black and white

Does it look deflated? You may want to set up a HT to start treatment of cipro.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful as they can move when and where they want. Cover your poweheads...laugh if you want thinking it won't happen to yours. I thought the same for a long time as mine stayed put, till one day :sad:

All that aside, I still think they are one of the more beautiful nems out there.

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nightmare waiting to happen. my brother in law had two of them in his 210g tank and they were beautiful but ate THOUSANDS of dollars worth of fish. they also like to move around the tank stinging ,irritating and shadowing corals. they grow fast and are hard to get out of your tank once they imbed themselves within your coral colonies. he finally got them out of his tank and put them in a tank on thier own in the basement and they managed to get into trouble even in that tank by wrapping themselves around the mp40 pump and shredding most of thier bodies up on the propeller. after seeing what he went through with these species i will NEVER add one to a reef tank. he loved them sooo much and was stubborn about removing them even with my warnings, he payed the price later in fish and corals. :(

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nem's can be a pain for local livestock

Nem's are ok when small, but when they get to a size that they are stinging other corals, this is not good. I have RBA's that are driving me crazy. I can't sell them when they get over 4" in size. Even at 1/2 of what their worth and or trade them. I have 2 X10" ones. I moved one in a bottom area that's isolated. Now the turkey splits. The other I had to put a rock between it and my Elegant. These guys are not worth it. Whaa.:mad2:

Last edited:
Back