Cost of the reefkeeping hobby

How much total money have you spent on this hobby?

• I have made money over past several years!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Under $1000

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • $1000-$2000

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • $2000-$3000

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • $3000-$4000

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • $5000-$7000

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • $7000-$10000

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Over $10,000

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been curious about something for a while. There are some threads about his hobby being expensive, which is a subjective term, and plenty of people arguing about how cheap in theory the hobby can be. This is all well and good, but doesn't really reflect what we in the hobby spend on average once we become addicted.

So I want to see real world costs. Not saying if it's expensive or cheap and not what could be done in theory. Estimate all reef expenses you have had over the past 5 years and put it in the poll! If you have made a net amount money over the years put it comments. Remember this is over the long haul as many people when they have a system set up the yearly cost drops but that doesn't mean they don't have a large investment.

I am hoping this way we avoid the subjective word "expensive" and we also show realistic amounts reef2reef members have spent - not just what we could spend shopping used and finding parts from our fishrooms.

Last edited:

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2k-3k, but that would include both my current tank and previous tank. just as a guess though, it would probably be closer to 3k if not over.. idk.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part here is valuation of used good, the money saved by DIY, electricity cost, and money made back from coral sales.

To be honest I think I am just slightly in the red if you leave out recurring costs like salt, chemicals, water and electricity... The tank and equipment was cheap as 90% is used or DIY in my setup. It doesn't take long via the barter system or coral selling to get into the hobby and not have much invested at all.

With that said, I go through on average 3 gallons Calcium Chloride, 3 gallons Soda Ash (DIY), 4 - 5 buckets of salt, 1 test kit, 30 or so flats of food (DIY) and approximately $360 in electricity per year which all will add up so I will never break even. However how many hobbies really break even or have a zero cost associated with them?

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2k-3k, but that would include both my current tank and previous tank. just as a guess though, it would probably be closer to 3k if not over.. idk.

Thanks for contributing! I know it really becomes a ballpark figure, but I do think it's nice information for others to have.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part here is valuation of used good, the money saved by DIY, electricity cost, and money made back from coral sales.

To be honest I think I am just slightly in the red if you leave out recurring costs like salt, chemicals, water and electricity... The tank and equipment was cheap as 90% is used or DIY in my setup. It doesn't take long via the barter system or coral selling to get into the hobby and not have much invested at all.

With that said, I go through on average 3 gallons Calcium Chloride, 3 gallons Soda Ash (DIY), 4 - 5 buckets of salt, 1 test kit, 30 or so flats of food (DIY) and approximately $360 in electricity per year which all will add up so I will never break even. However how many hobbies really break even or have a zero cost associated with them?

I don't think anyone should expect any hobby to have no cost or to make money, but if I didn't include that option I know people would say something! Good for you for buying all used equipment and tanks! I can never resist the allure of shiny new stuff, ha.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is difficult to answer, in part because it is dependent on the size of the tank, however I've come up with a hair-brain theory. You have initial costs of all equipment, tank, fish, etc., but also now have ongoing monthly costs of salt, water, alk and calc solutions, electricity, new corals and fish, etc. I think many of the above are grossly underestimating these expenses. So here's my theory. The inital cost of your system equals the year maintanance cost of the system. If you spend 1500 to buy some system, the yearly costs of running it will be 1500. What do you think?

mwminer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was worried about the cost I would have never had any hobby. How do you put a price on enjoyment ??? 450gal and 165gal tank

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on how long you have been in the hobby, if you have been keeping reefs for 20+ years chances are you have spent a crap ton of money. I've spent probably around the $1300 mark and I have only been keeping reef/FOWLR tanks for less than five years.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on how long you have been in the hobby, if you have been keeping reefs for 20+ years chances are you have spent a crap ton of money. I've spent probably around the $1300 mark and I have only been keeping reef/FOWLR tanks for less than five years.

Very true. I put 5 years in my 1st comment to try and limit it somewhat.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that most, including myself, probably underestimate costs from maintenance like electricity. As for putting a price on the enjoyment, this is just numbers, I love the hobby and the thousands I have spend I would do again (but differently!) This is just a numbers thread, not trying to imply anything good or bad, just gauge money spent.

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the $3000-4000 range right now, but that includes starting with a 10 gal, upgrading to a 40B, now I'm upgrading to a 240 gal, plus just set up a 20H on my desk at work. The 240 gal w/ 75 sump and 40B refugium alone I estimate will be about $4000 by the time I'm done (including fish, not including corals). So by the time I have this tank fully stocked I'll be in the $5000+ range easily. Never would have been able to be patient enough for this build though if it weren't for starting out with the smaller tanks... this is all not including electricity over the last few years... but I did not notice a huge increase in electric costs.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is that expensive, relative to other hobbies. I used to have a 21 ft. bass boat (Paid $27,000 for it) that annually cost about $1000 for tags and insurance. It cost $160.00 to fill it, not including the cost of the truck towing it to the river. Now those were expensive fish.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is that expensive, relative to other hobbies. I used to have a 21 ft. bass boat (Paid $27,000 for it) that annually cost about $1000 for tags and insurance. It cost $160.00 to fill it, not including the cost of the truck towing it to the river. Now those were expensive fish.

That's exactly why I made this poll! What people consider expensive varies so much and from hobby to hobby I thought it would be nice to just look at the numbers. Thanks for the comment!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
costs aren't just monetary.
Think about the toll it takes on your family. :tongue:

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm not doing the past five years, because my new tank isn't that old. I don't talk about the cost of my last tank.

1. Top Finn 40b, $90
2. Glass holes 700gph overflow, $80
3. Two half inch return lines & bulkheads $30
4. Various plumbing about $35
5. Eshopps snow cone skimmer $125 (used)
6. 29g tank for sump $30
7. Baffles & silicone $30
8. Return pump $0 (had sitting)
9. Sand $0 (gifted)
10. 40# dry rock $80
11. 15# live rock $35
12. Koralia circ pumps $80
13. Salt $50
14. Heater $30
15. Water ~$150

I don't have much stock, and most of it was gifted or traded, there is my list... Oh yeah, I got around $100 in the lighting, used 4 bulb T5

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um yea i would need another category for way more than $10k, like i don't want to know.:squigglemouth:

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly why I made this poll! What people consider expensive varies so much and from hobby to hobby I thought it would be nice to just look at the numbers. Thanks for the comment!
Well fishing/boating is a cheap hobby compared to flying. Thousands of dollars for license/lessons, hundreds-thousands for inspections and maintenance, then more money to fly in certain areas then the fuel and last but not least 50k+ on a cheap plane in decent condition.... Just to name a few things, when in reality there's more.... We can go all day with this. Super cars , racing, traveling, collecting, etc... So there's no point in doing the numbers when comparing with other hobbies, when nowadays hobbies can be in the millions...But doing your poll with what they have paid makes sense but it's an ongoing expense. And there's expenses that some of us can't really calculate unless you take the time to do so like, electric, water etc.. There's a million threads about this on here. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but these threads just have people saying their opinions and arguing. Imo, If you get the mean salary of the US (where most the hobbyist on here live) , you can get your poll and calculate the costs and see how much $$ people have left over for the hobby. For example, maybe you will be surprised and the people spending $6000+ are in debt or struggling to make ends meet (estimates,if you spend that much don't be offended everyone's situation is different) with a mean salary. I agree , it's a subjective term, so with that you can't say what's actually expensive. But since we are talking about averages then I feel it's good to look at averages across the board, therefore, salaries as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back