OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im pushin for a similar rockscape like this. Still trying to decide if its better to get dryrock to create an island like this by drilling the acrylic rods. In another tub I can cure a few good pieces of LR to seed? or should i just throw it all into the tank since its brandnew and cycle straight from the tank. Suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422341500.210507.jpg

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
got some of the pukani from brs. Really good looking rock. Also got some of the shelf rock I really like it as well. I am buying up for a 200 build now. Have about 50 of each so far. I prefer the dry rock so I have time to scape it like I want and no hitch hikers. The pukani is super light. If want pics I can post up some.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out marco rocks.
I did a simple "bonsai" style as well.

Using dry rock is the way to go in my opinion.

You could Mix and match types and Tonga branch.

It just takes a lot longer to cycle, get a strong bio load, critters & Coraline is all.
(I do miss bristle worms right now, but I know they eventually show up).

I do suggest to acid wash anything first. Remove some phosphates.

I personally spent a month building a structure with epoxy, zip-ties & rods. So much better to make your style then having to rushing to get wet rocks in a tank and keep messing with them. IMO.

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
got some of the pukani from brs. Really good looking rock. Also got some of the shelf rock I really like it as well. I am buying up for a 200 build now. Have about 50 of each so far. I prefer the dry rock so I have time to scape it like I want and no hitch hikers. The pukani is super light. If want pics I can post up some.

No wonder why its all sold out lol Yasss post it. Lets check out some dope Rockscape!

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out marco rocks.
I did a simple "bonsai" style as well.

Using dry rock is the way to go in my opinion.

You could Mix and match types and Tonga branch.

It just takes a lot longer to cycle, get a strong bio load, critters & Coraline is all.
(I do miss bristle worms right now, but I know they eventually show up).

I do suggest to acid wash anything first. Remove some phosphates.

I personally spent a month building a structure with epoxy, zip-ties & rods. So much better to make your style then having to rushing to get wet rocks in a tank and keep messing with them. IMO.

Very true. Im definitely taking my time on this rockscape. So did you do ALL death rocks? and started the cycle using inverts? How long did it take to cycle?

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys cycle and cure your rocks inside the tank or in a separate container? I know during the curing process I would need to do frequent water changes every week. yah?

In regards to acid dip. Ive done it before but it was for Live Rock. is it really necessary for dry rock as well?

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my plan is. 75% Dry Rock (Bonsai Style) when the rock scape is complete, i will add 25% Good Quality, Super Coraline, Special grade LIVE rock added around the base of the islands to seed :) Yea?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acid washed them for only a couple hours. (some good u tube videos).
Then I rinsed several times in rodi, & soaked them for a week checking phosphates etc.

Let dry, did my scape,put in tank to cycle. I used pure ammonia.

Or try running lots of gfo while cycling, (if they are leaching phosphates). Mine were.

I have 0 live rock in my tank.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my plan is. 75% Dry Rock (Bonsai Style) when the rock scape is complete, i will add 25% Good Quality, Super Coraline, Special grade LIVE rock added around the base of the islands to seed :) Yea?

I think if you add live rock to the base, it may hurt the Coraline with no light getting to it. Just scrape it into a high flow area every couple days.

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acid washed them for only a couple hours. (some good u tube videos).
Then I rinsed several times in rodi, & soaked them for a week checking phosphates etc.

Let dry, did my scape,put in tank to cycle. I used pure ammonia.

Or try running lots of gfo while cycling, (if they are leaching phosphates). Mine were.

sounds like a plan. Im running ZeoVit from the beginning so i might not be able to do GFO.

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i go all Dry rock. I might have to keep the zeo system off until the cycle is complete then I can proceed with Zeo Day 1. Turn the media on and start the dosing as soon as ammonia drops and bacteria kicks in.

Last edited:

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock, I haven't built the scape with this rock yet. The last scape I built was with reefrocks

Attachments

• 20141023_002031 (1).jpg
    20141023_002031 (1).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 20140912_234854 (1).jpg
    20140912_234854 (1).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 20150106_131106.jpg
    20150106_131106.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 344

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock pictured is around 50 lbs of each, the pukani and the tonga shelf from brs. The scape was built with reef rocks which is dry rock as well.

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better idea to cycle Dry Rock and Live Rock at the same time or separate containers? I know the LiveRock requires Light

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I decide to do 50/50 Dry and Live. How should I cycle that together? Do I cure them both at the same time and cater more to the LR?

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes about 55 of each. The pukani is very light and porous. The large piece in the shelf (ON LEFT) with base is about 25 on its own. The live rock should be good to go as long as it ships quick. According to what dry rock you get, the marco and some of the other mined rock they say can go right into tank , but the pukani and shelf need cleaned before using. Some people use acid and others just use vinegar or other stuff to clean. I would at least give it a curing testing for phosphate along the way. I put the reefrocks right into the tank and used rock from another tank in sump for a few months and slowly took them out.

OP
OP
ReefCartel

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good Joker. This was my plan when the marco rocks arrive. (Pls correct me if I should go another direction)

As soon as they arrive before washing them off I will start drilling holes for the rods to create a bonsai island look --I will flatten the bottom of the base rock to create a stable foundation-- Then I will rinse them off and soak in a brute with RO diluted with Vinegar for about a day. --Then add to my tank--hit the switch to the saltwater mixing for a couple hours --Fill the tank-- Turn on all the equipment (CaRx, MediaRx, Skimmer) -- Adjust flow and adjust equipment -- Add dry sand (Shallow bed 4cm of 2mm Special grade dry sand) -- Wait for everything to settle -- Add Ammonia -- Then Sit back and be patient while testing Po4 and Ammonia.--

now, im still trying to figure out if I should Add the LR During the process or After? Also, once I get that LR established (Even during the Die off and ammonia spike) I will start "Day1" of the ZeoVit. Just as long as i know bacteria is available to be fed.

Lol let me know if this is a good algorithm and also let me know what you would do different. Thx

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back