OP
OP
C

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the snails a few weeks ago from a very reputable LFS in the area, just lost everything over the last few days.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would not surprise me to find out that velvet was introduced to your system when you added the snails.

OP
OP
C

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did bot notice much, corals were fine. A few fish looked slightly pale but I just thought it was my lights. After closer look it was the Marine Velvet, but by then it was too late to do anything.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did bot notice much, corals were fine. A few fish looked slightly pale but I just thought it was my lights. After closer look it was the Marine Velvet, but by then it was too late to do anything.

Still a huge crappy thing to have happen. Leave your tank fellow for a few weeks and all should be good. Sorry. :(

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because snails are the only thing I have added in over a year and Marine Velvet has just wiped out my tank.

I know that this is an old thread but i see you're still active recently so i was hoping to hear if you found out what the problem was? I had the same issue recently and your thread is the only one i can find with a similar issue.

My fish were fine for several weeks then I introduced snails and all my fish died. Did you restock your tank with new fish? Did you wait a few weeks before restocking?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is an old thread but i see you're still active recently so i was hoping to hear if you found out what the problem was? I had the same issue recently and your thread is the only one i can find with a similar issue.

My fish were fine for several weeks then I introduced snails and all my fish died. Did you restock your tank with new fish? Did you wait a few weeks before restocking?

If you did introduce something that wiped out your tank, you need to figure out what it was. If it was ick or velvet then there are fallow tank protocols your would need to follow. These things would have infiltrated your tank and remain active for a length of time, so any fish you would introduce during this time, would be susceptible.

Sadly practices of distributors and lfs will transport these diseases from everything; corals, inverts, macro, etc. Proper practice would be to never house fish that have not been properly qt'd in the same system as inverts, corals, macros, etc, This used to be protocol, not anymore, and it stinks.

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did introduce something that wiped out your tank, you need to figure out what it was. If it was ick or velvet then there are fallow tank protocols your would need to follow. These things would have infiltrated your tank and remain active for a length of time, so any fish you would introduce during this time, would be susceptible.

Sadly practices of distributors and lfs will transport these diseases from everything; corals, inverts, macro, etc. Proper practice would be to never house fish that have not been properly qt'd in the same system as inverts, corals, macros, etc, This used to be protocol, not anymore, and it stinks.

Yeah I will be doing a fallow period for about 7 weeks as I couldn't figure out what else caused the issue. We went through allot of troubleshooting in another thread and we couldn't pin point anything.

Do I still need to feed corals? I have 3 frags of zoa and a duncan. I will probably give the duncan some mysis but I'm not sure about the zoa.

Katianne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is an old thread as somebody above mentioned, but the same thing happened to me. I have a 40 gallon tank and four fish I introduced new snails from my LFS and they are all dead. It’s the only thing I have added to my tank in over a year so they had to have come in with velvet.
My question would be, how long do I have to wait before I can put fish in or should I take all the snails out?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is an old thread as somebody above mentioned, but the same thing happened to me. I have a 40 gallon tank and four fish I introduced new snails from my LFS and they are all dead. It’s the only thing I have added to my tank in over a year so they had to have come in with velvet.
My question would be, how long do I have to wait before I can put fish in or should I take all the snails out?

No point in taking the snails out... tank is already infected. Just fallow it for 45 days minimum at 81 or to be safer... some people do 76 (but 76 is more for ich than velvet). Stir the sand as well.

Katianne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long between adding snails and fish starting to die? Were there any at the beginning that just died without any outward signs of velvet? I think I’m having a similar experience…..
I added four snails to my tank and about five days later I lost my starry blenny. He ate the night before and was dead in the morning with no outward sign of anything. Then one by one all my fish died within 72 hours. I did not see any outward signs of velvet. More importantly, I had not added anything to my tank not even a coral for over a year. My fish were happy, healthy and thriving…

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exalectric you can see now after some research that fish kills dont have to be related to this instance you added a cuc, they can time that way randomly.

see the fish disease forum for daily number of new posts, quick wipeout posts etc, its a massive problem. Adding the cuc here without any sort of fallowing means for the last several months any coral added and any rock or shell added was the same vector risk, there's a difference between clean fallow and dirty fallow, don't focus too much on the current additions but more the overall disease control approach.

quarantining is nice and half the battle, but we all know adding water from another tank carries in pestilence and that doesnt have to be liquid water, it can be wet corals, wet snails, wet rocks.

using clean fallow is the only way you can eliminate causatives here away from fish disease, and that will mean all new hardscape additions are ran through another fallow system for eighty days before going into your tank

few if any reefers will go through that hassle, hence the daily activity and loss rate in the fish disease forum.

clean fallow and qt + aged rock receiving systems have the highest retention rate in all marine fish keeping and even that method has some losses in quarantine, sometimes fish have genetic maladies just like other animals do etc but its the only way you're going to eliminate common fish disease from your loss equation. adding the CUC without any observation time or preps was probably the 15th+ non fallowed wet item added to the tank

disease got in months ago--very possible.
plus reef cleaners has thousands of happy orders with no fish wipeouts on file.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back