Hi guys if i build my tank in a rental house and need to move in 6 months time how easy is it to pac

finno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys if i build my tank in a rental house and need to move in 6 months time how easy is it to pack up and move how does recycle the water ect go ? Like with re introducing live stock inverts ect, im unshure wheather to setup a tank i will have to move 6 months down the track and if so how hard is it thank you guys and girls.

OP
OP
F

finno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea yea just seeing how hard it is to move an astablished tank as alot of people rent and dont stay in one house for a long time cheers

Charlie.C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you can just drain enough water to be able to move it. Then set it up at the new place. I've done it with fresh water but I'm new to saltwater so I am not 100%.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say only setup rock and fish for now till you move. Don't add sand or corals till later. I personally like sandless for ease of cleaning.

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to move my tank in a few months too and have no definite plans on how to do it.

I'm thinking to maybe get some rubbermaid bins to move everything into (minus the sand). Then I can take my time setting up in the new place, instead of having everything waiting in bags and rushing me haha.

C4!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank are we talking here... to me that makes a huge difference. A nano or something no biggy go for it, a larger 100+ where the tank is going to be big, heavy and awkward and a day job moving it and everything that goes with it... I'd wait.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it where me I would collect some really nice shaped rocks and put them in a rubbermaid with a heater and a powerhead for 6 months too cycle. Just toss in some food every few days and then you will have some really mature rock to start with in 6 months. Oh and a light overtop to color up the rock as well. Every time I moved I would sell everything and start over from scratch. Moving kids and the rest of the house was stressful enough and didn't want to worry about some prized corals and fish at the same time. Good luck with whatever you choose and we are here to help.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say wait all together. As "easy" as moving a Nano might be, its still a pain in the buns.

One one occasion I moved my Nano with 40 lbs of sand and 1/4 full of water, Rock/coral in a cooler and fish/coral in a 5G bucket. Took a lot of coordination and heavy lifting.

On another I moved my 72G FW tank with 80 lbs of substrate and maybe an 2" of water above that with fish and plants in a cooler. That didnt tak as much coordination but HOLY POOP was that thing heavy.

I now have that 72g converted to a reef and am thinking about moving to FL so I stopped stocking pending the imminent move. At which point I think im just going to sell the live stock, sand and maybe the rock and tank.

DO yourself a favor, if you KNOW you are going to move save the headaches and wait.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said!
If it where me I would collect some really nice shaped rocks and put them in a rubbermaid with a heater and a powerhead for 6 months too cycle. Just toss in some food every few days and then you will have some really mature rock to start with in 6 months. Oh and a light overtop to color up the rock as well. Every time I moved I would sell everything and start over from scratch. Moving kids and the rest of the house was stressful enough and didn't want to worry about some prized corals and fish at the same time. Good luck with whatever you choose and we are here to help.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size. 50/75gal I would set up now with live rock/fish. Possibly some lps down the road just for some color. Nothing attached to the rock though. If Bigger than that I would take the time to Design the system and find all the stuff I wanted. Cycle the live rock so its ready to go. Qt some fish so it wouldn't be empty.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back