Refugium

dinod73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my first refugium 20g. Total tank size for my 40g tank. My question is in the section that i have the sand, rock, and algae growing should i have and critters in there?

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can and will have critters (pods, serpent starfish, etc...). Intentionally placed critters in the fuge is not required. I do sometimes throw in crabs and bristle worms from the DT if they get big.

Last edited:

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can and will have critters (pods, serpent starfish, etc...). Intentionally placed critters in the fuge is not required. I do sometimes throw in crabs and bristle worms from the DT if they get big.
+1 I drop any hermit crabs that get too aggressive in to the fuge.

OP
OP
dinod73

dinod73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need any special type of lighting, i have just a standard led light that o run about 22 hours...

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge light should be 5500-6500k and run 12 hours opposite your DT lights. I'm running a cheap LED fuge (6500k) light from Aquatraders and growing Cheto like weeds!

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are all you want in the fuge? Fuge light 'should' be 5500-6500k and run 12hrs? Please these are all just "personal opinions based on personal experience. They are NOT rules and should be stated as such. Every refugium is different.
Example: I have a 20L sump. My fuge area is 13x12x8, I run a 5w full spectrum Par 30 LED for 8hrs opposite DT schedule and my Chaeto grows like crazy.
As for critters in your fuge, IMO you can put whatever you want in there. Personally I like anything that will help keep it clean. Pods, crabs, brittle star fish and snails.
Make suggestions based on personal experience only. Don't state them as facts.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are all you want in the fuge? Fuge light 'should' be 5500-6500k and run 12hrs? Please these are all just "personal opinions based on personal experience. They are NOT rules and should be stated as such. Every refugium is different.
Example: I have a 20L sump. My fuge area is 13x12x8, I run a 5w full spectrum Par 30 LED for 8hrs opposite DT schedule and my Chaeto grows like crazy.
As for critters in your fuge, IMO you can put whatever you want in there. Personally I like anything that will help keep it clean. Pods, crabs, brittle star fish and snails.
Make suggestions based on personal experience only. Don't state them as facts.

Ok "should" might been a little strong, you must have read Paul B's post. Maybe we should do a poll. I've been scolded by better ......... and those that scold should go back and make sure they haven't done the same, didn't take me long.

My opinion and manufactured fact on fuge lighting that you might try is 5500-6500k and run 12hrs opposite the DT. It is based on years of practice, research, and success. I apologize if anyone got their shorts twisted.

Last edited:

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the daylight led flood lights from Home Depot for the last year and have been pleased with my growth. I used to have a few turbo snails in there until they started eating my macro algae. Although I could probably put a couple back in there now that I run a tumbling fuge. I still have a couple hermits in there and a pair of peppermint shrimp. And many many pods.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the daylight led flood lights from Home Depot for the last year and have been pleased with my growth. I used to have a few turbo snails in there until they started eating my macro algae. Although I could probably put a couple back in there now that I run a tumbling fuge. I still have a couple hermits in there and a pair of peppermint shrimp. And many many pods.

Are the lights the PAR38's?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok "should" might been a little strong, you must have read Paul B's post. Maybe we should do a poll. I've been scolded by better ......... and those that scold should go back and make sure they haven't done the same, didn't take me long.

My opinion and manufactured fact on fuge lighting that you might try is 5500-6500k and run 12hrs opposite the DT. It is based on years of practice, research, and success. I apologize if anyone got their shorts twisted.

Talk about twisted shorts and ruffled feathers-lol.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about twisted shorts and ruffled feathers-lol.

Hmmm, no mention of the topic at hand ................... forum etiquette?

I've tried a lot in the last 30 years including many different fuge designs and configurations. Currently running middle return with LR, Cheto and Halimeda, so far the best configuration I've experienced. Truly believe slow flow is the key to refugium efficiency. Anyone running full drain flow through the fuge is missing a lot of benefits. I use a smaller pump to supply the fuge rated about 1/4 of my total tank flow. I use to control the drain but I could never master the tune on the header to prevent gurgle and level maintenance (even with venting, probably needed a bigger header)...... :squigglemouth:. On another note, I don't know how folk keep serpent stars out of their fuge ..... :bigsmile:

Last edited:

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the lights the PAR38's?

Yes they are. And they are built for wet locations as well. The light is aimed down fairly well so a reflector isn't completely necessary, IMO, but does help on a less powerful light that is shorter. The bigger bulbs extend to the edge of the standard spring clamp reflectors so the reflector receives no light.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back