Need a bit of guidance reefer fam :)

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i like many other have ICH in my tank now so I'm draining it to get my fish out for hypo salinity treatment. i have a young SPS dominated reef that i want to keep alive during the drain and fish chase. how can i keep my acros from dying from being exposed to air? can i have someone mist them with a spray bottle while i gather the fish? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because i love my fish and my corals so i want to make this as safe as possible.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros can stand being out of the water for a period of time. I don't know how your corals are mounted in your tank. Put you could also place them in a bucket of tank water from the draining of your tank.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just lowering the water level to make it easier to snag the fish, acros shouldnt be affected. In the wild during low tide these corals can be out of the water and exposed to direct sunlight for hours with no ill effects. Good luck with the crypto cleanse.

OP
OP
scoobysnack77

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros can stand being out of the water for a period of time. I don't know how your corals are mounted in your tank. Put you could also place them in a bucket of tank water from the draining of your tank.
they are glued so i can remove them

OP
OP
scoobysnack77

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just lowering the water level to make it easier to snag the fish, acros shouldnt be affected. In the wild during low tide these corals can be out of the water and exposed to direct sunlight for hours with no ill effects. Good luck with the crypto cleanse.
well those corals are used to being in the air but mine have never been exposed for longer than a few seconds. i think ill just put them in the quarantine and reglue them when all the fish are removed. i just want to be as safe as possible so i minimize stress on my acros because we all know how much they love stress :)lol

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not be draining the tank. Watch your fish, stressing them isn't going to help the situation any. If they continue to eat, leave them alone. In the mean time, get a 10-20g set up, Using some of the ammo lock and things out there, you can remove the ammonia from the tank as you put in the new fish for hypo. Really no easy way to get a QT tank going unless you already have one. But me, I'd leave the fish alone, unless they are under a ton of white spots, which means that QT probably wouldn't help at that point anyways.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think about removing corals before they are placed in the tank, If something happens you don't want the corals to not be removable from the tank,

OP
OP
scoobysnack77

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not be draining the tank. Watch your fish, stressing them isn't going to help the situation any. If they continue to eat, leave them alone. In the mean time, get a 10-20g set up, Using some of the ammo lock and things out there, you can remove the ammonia from the tank as you put in the new fish for hypo. Really no easy way to get a QT tank going unless you already have one. But me, I'd leave the fish alone, unless they are under a ton of white spots, which means that QT probably wouldn't help at that point anyways.
yea fish are dying so its time to get them out and get them into quarantine asap. doing copper treatment. can anyone recommend a good fish trap to catch a damsel,firefish and a bartlett anthia that i couldn't catch yesterday by draining the tank?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i think raising the temp above 80 is asking for trouble in every way for your fish...im pretty sure increase of temp equals increase of metabolism and their use of energy...something like that

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some new life spectrum Thera a pellet food. It helps the fish fight off the ich. Also a cleaner shrimp or wrasse. I have been able to stop ich from becoming a massive outbreak by doing this. Get your quarantine ready just in case. Stable temp, salinity and water Parma help as well. If your running a sump you could switch out filter socks daily. Bleach them once used then let dry completely before reuse. They should trap free swimming ich. Good luck. You can beat this.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well those corals are used to being in the air but mine have never been exposed for longer than a few seconds. i think ill just put them in the quarantine and reglue them when all the fish are removed. i just want to be as safe as possible so i minimize stress on my acros because we all know how much they love stress :)lol

Being conservative in this hobby is never a bad thing. Best of luck.

OP
OP
scoobysnack77

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i lost my powder blue and my beloved regal angel :( so sad. ICH, was too much for em.

Back