gloves

gloves in the aquarium or when handling corals?

• always

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • depends

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • never

Votes: 45 52.3%

• Total voters

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am highly sensitive to zoas and palys so only wear gloves when I have to handle them.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wear gloves and I've never felt anything after handling my elegance but it may just be a tolerance thing when it comes to the elegance. I should wear gloves as I've felt a bit ill a few times after messing with my tank ( pretty sure from paly toxin) but I'm lazy lol

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I mess with zoas and pallys all the time. Nothing bad for me

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason that I always use gloves is that I don't want anything that's on my hands or skin getting into the tank.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glove advocates, have you over swam in the ocean? Were you wearing a swim suit or a full body dry suit for protection.

Unless you are fragging zoanthids, handling sharp objects, have an open wound, etc. I don't see why anyone would wear gloves in the tank. There isn't anything in the tank that you couldn't come in contact with in the ocean.

Agreed I mess with zoas and pallys all the time. Nothing bad for me

Not every zoa or paly has the toxin. The risk is getting it in the blood stream through open wounds, eyes, inhaling, etc (possibly even absorption through the skin). Its more of a threat when you are directly handling them than it is when your hand is just in the tank.

If you judge success by doing something and not dying from it, maybe you have a calling as an EOD. ;)

Last edited:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe that story about a guy boiling his rock and releasing gaseous paly toxin which nearly killed him. I believe it's like one of those urban legends people make up that has it's roots in truth but in itself is made up. Like something mythbusters would test. Perhaps it was true, but people are just taking it for fact and relaying it like they knew the guy which makes me question it.
Anyway, I don't wear gloves or any protective gear, but i do plenty of stupid stuff the average person wouldn't haha :)

Nope, its very true. It was a guy from MN. There was a whole discussion on the local forum.

Edit,

The incident I was remembering had to do with hydrogen peroxide - http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?35691-Peroxide-warning

But the boiling incident did happen as well - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083843

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to laugh but my hands never enter my tank without these on,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425018450.810774.jpg

and I never handle any coral without latex gloves. I don't like what SW does to my hands, which in turn causes me to put massive amounts of lotion on them and than I fear forgetting about the lotion and putting my hands in the tank. My gloves give me peace of mind :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glove advocates, have you over swam in the ocean? Were you wearing a swim suit or a full body dry suit for protection.

Unless you are fragging zoanthids, handling sharp objects, have an open wound, etc. I don't see why anyone would wear gloves in the tank. There isn't anything in the tank that you couldn't come in contact with in the ocean.

Not every zoa or paly has the toxin. The risk is getting it in the blood stream through open wounds, eyes, inhaling, etc (possibly even absorption through the skin). Its more of a threat when you are directly handling them than it is when your hand is just in the tank.

If you judge success by doing something and not dying from it, maybe you have a calling as an EOD. ;)

I judge by how many have bad things happen as apposed to nothing. And my hands always look like this.

Attachments

• 20150227_012806.jpg
    20150227_012806.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 188

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I judge by how many have bad things happen as apposed to nothing. And my hands always look like this.

The thing about betting on statistics is that one day it could catch up to you, and the average doctor isn't going to be familiar with exotic toxins.

I think it's silly to put a glove on every time you touch the tank unless there is a legitimate health concern, but it isn't that hard to put a rubber glove on when you are fragging the occasional zoanthid (which could present a legitimate risk to anyone)

Feel free to laugh but my hands never enter my tank without these on,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425018450.810774.jpg

and I never handle any coral without latex gloves. I don't like what SW does to my hands, which in turn causes me to put massive amounts of lotion on them and than I fear forgetting about the lotion and putting my hands in the tank. My gloves give me peace of mind :)

Sounds like good reasoning to me. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driving is horrable statistically. You don't? I'm beating a dead horse. Sok. Ill take my chances. Gloves make things too hard. I can appreciate why some swear by them. :)

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driving is horrable statistically. You don't? I'm beating a dead horse. Sok. Ill take my chances. Gloves make things too hard. I can appreciate why some swear by them. :)

Driving isn't as good of an example because there are so many variables and you may have control of the situation. This is more akin to picking up random snakes in Australia and assuming they aren't venemous.

Gloves make things too hard.

Reminds me of a kid refusing to put on his coat in the winter lol. Whatever floats your boat I guess man. ;)

I choose to take the advice of those that have been bit by it:

steveoutlaw said:
You hear stories and you think, "wow, that's aweful.......but that won't happen to me". Well let me tell you.......I thought the same thing and now I'm in more pain than I care to imagine. BOTTOM LINE - BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU HANDLE ZOOS.......THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS AND IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia is a bad example cuz most snakes are venomous there. Make that nh where the chance itss a rattler is less than a shark attack. Now thats a good example. I've been touching evverything in my tank for 8+ years. I am obsessed and have had most non sps corals, nems, and inverts over that time. I speak to many people in the hobby for decades. The chances of serious injury are slight. Very slight. It happens. But so does lighting. So we should be clear about how dangerous it is almost anything can kill you. But seriously, what are the chances. Lets see some stats. I think most people would be shocked at how small they are. These tails of horror are rare. Very rare. And the fear they sew is very unbalance as to the actual danger. So I admit its possable that you get hurt. But very unlikly. And death is nnear impossable. As for being a kid not wanting to wear them.... it is nothing of the sort. Its not that they are a pain to put on. I can't feel what I'm doing. Thing slide out of the smooth surface. I would not know if my arm was crushing my frogspawn head while I reach past it. Its not that I'm lazy. Trust me. I am the most active reef husband you will find. I do things with my tank for an hour or more almost everyday. As I said I'm obsessed. So an occasional bad experience scares most. Not me. I like cliff diving, river rafting and many more things that are much more dangerous than sticking my hand in a reef. Lol there is no need to relate me to a child because I disagree. Fear mongering is why everyone is afraid to live these days. Lets agree to disagree. :)

I choose to take the advice of those that have been bit by it:[/QUOTE]

Driving isn't as good of an example because there are so many variables and you may have control of the situation. This is more akin to picking up random snakes in Australia and assuming they aren't venemous.

Reminds me of a kid refusing to put on his coat in the winter lol. Whatever floats your boat I guess man. ;)

:

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a shark attack survivor saying stay out of the ocean. Ill take my chances.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol all in good fun. No offense to anyone. I completly understand why people choose to. Just not for me. If everyone agreed life would be boring. And when the conversation stops so does the learning. I love reefing. And reef2reef. This would have gotten a lot nastier on some sites. :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill tell ya what, this convo will cross my mind everytime I get stung now. Lol watch me get a major ouchy and put my foot in my mouth. Lol hope we are ok koletang. Didn't mwan to argue or upset. Just talkin it out.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not that they are a pain to put on. I can't feel what i'm doing. Thing slide out of the smooth surface. I would not know if my arm was crushing my frogspawn head while i reach past it.

Just to be clear I was referring to wearing gloves when zoanthids are physically out of the tank and under a scalpel. Not when reaching into the tank. I agree with what you're saying about extremely slim risks when it comes to reaching into the tank. I am just saying that it is worth the hassle of wearing some gloves when you are irritating zoanthids out of the water from fragging.

I've been touching evverything in my tank for 8+ years.

I'd hate to be in this tank. :xd:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh. I've not yet tried to physicslly frag anything. I prefer to let them attatch to loose rocki place around them then snip and pull them out. That maybe why I'm alive. Lol and wiseguy! Ha ha ha:) do you have a tank thread Koletang? I'm not real good at naigating the site.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some blue "cow Birthing" gloves at harbor freight. $6. I use them when I'm going to move rock and stuff around so I don't get paper cuts. I also like whatever is on my hands not getting in the tank. Also no risk of getting zapped. LOL

Gloves for major cleaning and rock moves.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back