gloves

gloves in the aquarium or when handling corals?

• always

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • depends

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • never

Votes: 45 52.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some blue "cow Birthing" gloves at harbor freight. $6. I use them when I'm going to move rock and stuff around so I don't get paper cuts. I also like whatever is on my hands not getting in the tank. Also no risk of getting zapped. LOL

Gloves for major cleaning and rock moves.
Just curious about the thickness. Like medical gloves or thick like reef or dish gloves?

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh. I've not yet tried to physicslly frag anything. I prefer to let them attatch to loose rocki place around them then snip and pull them out. That maybe why I'm alive. Lol and wiseguy! Ha ha ha:) do you have a tank thread Koletang? I'm not real good at naigating the site.

-_- dude lol

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 8 mil long cuff disposable nitrile gloves. The length is 12" and protects most of my write.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some blue "cow Birthing" gloves at harbor freight. $6. I use them when I'm going to move rock and stuff around so I don't get paper cuts. I also like whatever is on my hands not getting in the tank. Also no risk of getting zapped. LOL

Gloves for major cleaning and rock moves.

I tried those...once. They got cut up to $&#% just from moving my rock around.

myrjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will wear them when working with zoa's out of tank Otherwise no.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear them when doing the water test to keep those chemicals off my hands. For the tank I don't unless I have a bitey clownfish.

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried those...once. They got cut up to $&#% just from moving my rock around.

You must have extremely sharp rocks. I've used the same pair for years moving rocks around and other in tank maintenance.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also have to take in to affect that some people sink is more tender and susceptible to stings then other peoples.
I for one never use gloves, I have some nems in my tank that I have never got stung from and noticed.

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a shark attack survivor saying stay out of the ocean. Ill take my chances.

I don't think the reason people wear gloves is even remotely close to the rarity or seriousness of a shark attack. When handling LR for example there's a good chance there's bristle worms in/on it, and from what I hear those give a nasty sting. Also if you have a cut why take the chance of infection..? Sure it won't kill you (most likely) but neither will getting your legs amputated, just both are inconvient :).

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also have to take in to affect that some people sink is more tender and susceptible to stings then other peoples.
I for one never use gloves, I have some nems in my tank that I have never got stung from and noticed.

I get quite the allergic reaction to bristle worms stings... have had my fingers swell up a few times over the years. Now I use powder free latex gloves most of the time to prevent any issues.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the reason people wear gloves is even remotely close to the rarity or seriousness of a shark attack. When handling LR for example there's a good chance there's bristle worms in/on it, and from what I hear those give a nasty sting. Also if you have a cut why take the chance of infection..? Sure it won't kill you (most likely) but neither will getting your legs amputated, just both are inconvient :).
I've handled bristles bare handed. No biggy for me. As the pic shows I always have had cuts on my hands for 8+ years. I'm fine. So as far as I know with almost a decade of experience in this exact matter. The risk of even bacterial infection is small. But that's not to argue. To each there own. Just my experience. :)

CountrySideCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear black nitrile gloves from Lowes. It's $10/box of 50. I have had reactions from torches, zoas/palys, and an elegance so anytime I am fragging corals or getting an elegance placed in my frag tank or a bag for a customer I put gloves on. My reaction to torchs and the elegance was a red spot the created an itching sensation and swelling. The zoas/palys actually left multiple red spots that raised and dried out over a period of about a week.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the thread. Unfortunate. I'm glad he's ok. Smart enough to go to the dr right away, good for him. Bacterial infections are rough. I had a woods teacher in high school who had the same experience from a rusted nail. There is risk in all things. I suggest if you are concerned to where gloves. As that thread suggested they should be thick enough to not tear of slice. Bht in the end I still believe this is not as much of a concern as u think personally. How many users are on these reef boards. Gotta be 100s of thousands. These stories are scary I agree. But I'm willing to bet other hobbys or proffesions are worse. I don't want to take away from those who heed the message. Just my personal decision.
Yesterday I took my bare, cut up hands and pulled all my macro out of my fuge. Then ran my hands through the sand bed and took all the larger rocks and rouble out. Trying to better the enviorment for worms an bugs. Some of the bigger rocks were buried and resistant to being uprooted. I scraped up my hands even more. Once even pulling my hand back quick because it felt like I grabbed a nail. As the rocks came up there were clouds of waste that came up with them. I smoothed the sand and made one wall of rock against the back of the fuge and kept the sand bed just sand. Replanted all the macros. And took the sponge that caught all that crap to the sink. Ran it under water while squeezing it repeatedly. Defanitly gog some scrapes there to. What is in that sponge. Lol. After sorting out the sump I moved some of my display a bit. Usung some of the sump rocks. About 2 hours of scraped up hands in nasty water. The nastiest. When I was done my fiance said I had old man hands. Meaning wrinkled and white. No injury at all. Some scrapes. A little itchy. Thats it. These infections do not happen often. And you are more likely to be hurt doing half the things a normal persom does in a day.
These stories are bad. But you find them in anything we do. Anything! Please take them for what they are. And don't freak over every tale. Its a simple thing to wear gloves if you want. But leave the hobby!! NEVER

By the way, I found my lost pistol shrimp in my fuge. Lol yay! What do you guys think of the new look? All those rocks and more were buried under the sand. Now I have no sand. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-00-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-04-11-00-17.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 20150304_105006.jpg
    20150304_105006.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would like to point out the guy in that last thread post has been a member of rc for 10 years probably reefing longer. On thing goes wrong in a decade or more..... ill take those odds anyday. :)

acroaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly use gloves when handling rock. Makes me worry less about whatever is inside and also prevents cuts on your hands pretty well.

iloveswfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wear them for 2 reasons..the first is cause my skin on my hands peal from the saltwater and takes days to heal up. the second reason is cause i am alergic to super glue or any of the glue that is like super glue.

Back