gloves

gloves in the aquarium or when handling corals?

• always

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • depends

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • never

Votes: 45 52.3%

• Total voters

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got in a bit of a debate with people on facebook. Now I can't get it out of my head. I'm curious. Not meant to cause debate or argument. But how many of you wear gloves when putting hands in your reef or touching corals? And every time or only with certain ones? Obviously if something is known to kill you that's an exception. Thought I should say that. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the opinion that I do a lot more dangerous things and gloves are to much of a pain. Making it very hard to feel what you are doing and easy to hurt things without knowing. Even just driving a vehicle which everyone does is more dangerous. Not recommending it. To each his or her own. But that's my opinion.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 8 years I've touched quite a few things. Including carpets, btas, flowers, tubes. All types of inverts, bristle worms. All tupes of coral. The worst sting so far was an elegance. Took a week and a half for the red mark to fade. Gotten swelling and rashs. Red marks. But the wasp sting I got was way worse than any reef creature yet. Lol

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been stung by anything yet just a few bristles. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever pick up an elegance lol

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! I read a thread with a guy that boiled his live rock with a few palys on it and the vapor almost killed him and is family

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe that story about a guy boiling his rock and releasing gaseous paly toxin which nearly killed him. I believe it's like one of those urban legends people make up that has it's roots in truth but in itself is made up. Like something mythbusters would test. Perhaps it was true, but people are just taking it for fact and relaying it like they knew the guy which makes me question it.
Anyway, I don't wear gloves or any protective gear, but i do plenty of stupid stuff the average person wouldn't haha :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I read the whole thread. And its a bit crappy. But. I reiderate. Driving a car kills thousands of people every year. If you are goingvto worry about getting attacked by a shark or similar. You are going to live an extremly sheltered life. I have never NEVER Heard of someone dying from there tank. And if i did I still would say its very very unlikly. Horror stories are meant to scare. But even though this guy waited days he lost a thumb nail. Not nearly as bad as things that are much more common. Or that a kid does. Skateboarding, roller blading, skiing. There is danger in anything. And everything. My boy can't even bring penut butter to school. And mosquitos... man better never go out again. I know multiple people in the hobby for decades that don't wear them and have never experienced anything like this. Again my opinion. To each his own.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to come accross as rude or suggesting you don't wear them. Its my personal choice and I honestly love debate. Occasionally it changes my opinion. But a random and comparitivly rare experience is not enough to change it yet. ;-)

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe that story about a guy boiling his rock and releasing gaseous paly toxin which nearly killed him. I believe it's like one of those urban legends people make up that has it's roots in truth but in itself is made up. Like something mythbusters would test. Perhaps it was true, but people are just taking it for fact and relaying it like they knew the guy which makes me question it.
Anyway, I don't wear gloves or any protective gear, but i do plenty of stupid stuff the average person wouldn't haha :)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...-poisoning-almost-killed-myself-wife-and-dogs :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't wear them for most things.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not wear gloves, but will in the future if I ever need to move my elegance. When I first bought and placed it last year I wasn't aware of the danger. For the next two weeks or so I would break out and have major itching, mostly on my arms. Do not want to go through that again.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do not wear gloves, but will in the future if I ever need to move my elegance. When I first bought and placed it last year I wasn't aware of the danger. For the next two weeks or so I would break out and have major itching, mostly on my arms. Do not want to go through that again.
that's funny I was just telling someone the same thing. The elegance is the worst I have come across so far. Still not enough to make me wear gloves though. Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back