Help

tom316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to see a few rocks covered in a green moss looking algae I thinking hair algae. anyways whats the fastest way to get rid of it? I got 30 snails 25 crabs 2 emeralds already in my 28 gallon 4 fish .

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different ways: I've heard about and tried:
1. Water changes & GFO.
2. Turbo snails/ more cleanup crew
3. you can take out your rocks put them in a bucket with water and some hydrogen peroxide for about a week (or if you have access to an oxidator you can safely do this in your tank with your invertebrates and fish). If you do it straight into your tank- you have to be careful on the amount (that's why they have oxidators- a reactor for the peroxide). If you do to much, you can kill your invertebrates.

~Misty

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That "green moss looking algae" is turf algae and is easily plucked and removed, which will export some nutrients with it. Step up water changes and get the upper hand on excess nutrients.

OP
OP
T

tom316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sorry gfo?
Different ways: I've heard about and tried:
1. Water changes & GFO.
2. Turbo snails/ more cleanup crew
3. you can take out your rocks put them in a bucket with water and some hydrogen peroxide for about a week (or if you have access to an oxidator you can safely do this in your tank with your invertebrates and fish). If you do it straight into your tank- you have to be careful on the amount (that's why they have oxidators- a reactor for the peroxide). If you do to much, you can kill your invertebrates.

~Misty

OP
OP
T

tom316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks, now a silly question,,, can or should I run a extermal filter on my tank? I got a nice canister I picked up for a fresh tank but no were near ready for it yet so was thinking I could run carbon and this gfo in the canister?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO needs a set rate of flow, really slow kinda. You could throw some other phosphate remover into that filter, but I'd not use GFO. You could however throwth efilter on, use normal filter pad media and use a Lanthanum product, liquid phosphate remover.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without regular maintenance they can become nitrate factories making your problem worse.
ok thanks, now a silly question,,, can or should I run a extermal filter on my tank? I got a nice canister I picked up for a fresh tank but no were near ready for it yet so was thinking I could run carbon and this gfo in the canister?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back