streaks hard to remove daily

trevscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked everywhere for this answer to a problem i a having and nobody can answer it for me.. I have a 90 gallon reef tank. everyday my alk goes from 9-10 to 4-5, i have to add baking soda daily to keep it up. My calcium levels drop the same way daily. When I add baking soda,or calcium i get these white hard to remove streaks on the glass, i have to manually scrape it off with a razor daily. for it to appear again a few hours later. I do weekly water changes using reef crystals my magnesium is at 1400. what is causing these streaks and why does my alk swing so much along with the calcium?

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with kuba....sounds like your alk and calc are precipitating out due to low magnesium levels....are you testing for mag? If so, what are your levels? They should be between 1300 - 1460....

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see your last post! I would cross check that with another test...(different brand or have a buddy test it for you)

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....in my opinion I would get another test kit....your bio load for coral doesn't justify the uptake on alk and calc...I would be fairly certain that you are low on mag causing precipitate to gather on your glass....have you checked your pumps or heaters for precipitate?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His Magnesium is fine. First I would double check your testing and or kits. That is a mighty big drop over night. Is your tank loaded with stony corals?
I agree with the streaks being precipitation. Besides low mag as being the cause you'd be better off asking Randy-Holmes Farley :)

Sounds like you need to start dosing a 2part additive, equal amounts of both CA/ALK daily, added slowly to a high flow area. 10-15min apart from each other.

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't make the judgement that your mag is fine because I don't know your system nor do I trust just one test....

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then that is a tell tale sign of low mag....this is just my opinion and what i have learned in the past 5 years of reefing....just my two cents and good luck I hope you get to the bottom of this!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back