Help with fuge!

brian.snell.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up first fuge and looking for opinions on best way. LFS says go lr and macro only...what's the best?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as everyone food supply nitrate export

Ok, the reason I ask is because there are different types of refugiums that accomplish different things with different levels of maintenance. A typical macro algae fuge doesn't export nutrients, it only assimilates them. Exporting happens only when you remove the algae. If the algae dies back before the exporting then it simply release the nutrients back into the system. Personally I'm not a fan of the typical refugium as it comes with some pitfalls.

Nevertheless, if you're keeping animals that require pods, like a mandarin then a sand bed, with macro algae or rock and chaeto is all that's needed. The problem is these slow flow refugiums tend to be a dump in your sump and simply collect waste and have to be cleaned often otherwise they are counterproductive. A better alternative is a cryptic fuge. With this you can plumb the input line to the bottom of the tank to keep detritus from settling and stack a bunch of rock. You'll have a place for pods to breed and sponges, turnicates and feather dusters will filter the water. My cryptic fuge is in a 20 gallon high tank, with a pvc spray bar looped around the perimeter of the tank. The beauty of the cryptic fuge is it's essentially maintenance free.

Now, if your not keeping animals that require a large pod population then it's really a waste of time to setup either of these refugiums and you would be much better off doing a remote deep sand bed or algae turf scrubber. Personally I have and like the former, because it doesn't require any maintenance and nitrates are actually exported from the system by completing the nitrogen cycle via bacteria converting nitrates to nitrogen gas. In fact, I believe it should be a part of every marine system. The algae turf scrubber is another effective option, but again it only assimilates nutrients and requires the hobbyist to export the algae every week.

I hope this helps.

Deblack3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, not upset at all. :smile: Just Thought the Guy explains the different area's and equipment in each quite well.

OP
OP
B

brian.snell.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the reason I ask is because there are different types of refugiums that accomplish different things with different levels of maintenance. A typical macro algae fuge doesn't export nutrients, it only assimilates them. Exporting happens only when you remove the algae. If the algae dies back before the exporting then it simply release the nutrients back into the system. Personally I'm not a fan of the typical refugium as it comes with some pitfalls.

Nevertheless, if you're keeping animals that require pods, like a mandarin then a sand bed, with macro algae or rock and chaeto is all that's needed. The problem is these slow flow refugiums tend to be a dump in your sump and simply collect waste and have to be cleaned often otherwise they are counterproductive. A better alternative is a cryptic fuge. With this you can plumb the input line to the bottom of the tank to keep detritus from settling and stack a bunch of rock. You'll have a place for pods to breed and sponges, turnicates and feather dusters will filter the water. My cryptic fuge is in a 20 gallon high tank, with a pvc spray bar looped around the perimeter of the tank. The beauty of the cryptic fuge is it's essentially maintenance free.

Now, if your not keeping animals that require a large pod population then it's really a waste of time to setup either of these refugiums and you would be much better off doing a remote deep sand bed or algae turf scrubber. Personally I have and like the former, because it doesn't require any maintenance and nitrates are actually exported from the system by completing the nitrogen cycle via bacteria converting nitrates to nitrogen gas. In fact, I believe it should be a part of every marine system. The algae turf scrubber is another effective option, but again it only assimilates nutrients and requires the hobbyist to export the algae every week.

I hope this helps.
Sounds like I want a cryptic fuge. Yes I would like to be able to keep a mandarin or a pair. Do you have a pic of yours I would like to see the PVC system u are talking about. So I am looking to be able to keep my pod population up.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a picture tonight when I get home.

I would still incorporate Anthony Calfo's remote deep sand bed or aka sand bed in a bucket to export nitrates. Unless you plan on a dsb within your display, which comes with some possible issues.

Deblack3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my past experience, [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]Mandarin's can be quite difficult. Although they are really neat, They do have very specific needs and require a decent attention or they go down hill quickly. Your Refuge and Tank needs to be well established. Just my 2 cents... [/FONT]:smile:

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope this helps.
I am interested in how you setup your cryptic fuge also

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 of these: Philips 425280 19.5-Watt (120-Watt) AirFlux PAR38 LED Daylight Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com
Although, Home Depot had them in the $35 range when i got them. I have a 75g tank that i put about 1 cube worth of frozen food in per day. I don't rinse the food. My nitrates and phosphates are at 0 with Chaeto growing like crazy. I cut it in half every 10 days or so. It's true that if you don't remove the Chaeto it won't export Nitrates, However... The 2 minutes every 10 days i spend snipping it in half and throwing it out (2 mins because i am careful not to make a mess and half to walk to the kitchen, throw it out, and then put the tupperware back under the tank) is about the easiest way i know of to keep nitrates and phosphates in line. I do also have a skimmer that's made for a tank quite larger than mine (RO NWB150), i should mention.

Granted this isn't what you asked, but +1 on Mandarin's being tough. I really wanted one at first, but i'm about 7-months into the hobby now, and I finally get why people say to hold off and I'm glad I did. I had an Ich outbreak, and there is no way the mandy would have survived all I've had to do with QTing. Definitely an advanced level fish.

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope this helps.

I am interested as well to see what you set up looks like. Please put some detailed photos up if you would

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back