Ready to take the plunge! What kind of corals should I buy?

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently set up a 35 gallon hexagon tank and you guys have me scared to death after reading posts! I wanted live rock so now I have live rock with 2 filters a 165 watt hanging light with 5 colors. My tank has cycled and my levels are good. I lost 2 clown fish after 6weeks of setup due to high nitrites. I have 5 snails and 5 crabs that has done a great job of cleaning up but my problem lies within what comes in on live rock. The crabs took care of the aspistra? but now I have read the little white starfish things can eat zoas! I have also seen some white skinny string worm looking things. I do believe I have a rhodactihis? it's red and came on rock and has been fine for a month now. So can anybody help or guide me as to what corals, anemones, etc would be good to start out with and do I need to add nutrients for them? Please help it would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• tank new lights.jpg
    tank new lights.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 627

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to avoid dosing, you should probably look at soft corals first. Maybe mushrooms, toadstool, sinularia, zoos, plays, etc. What are your tank parameters and lighting? The corals I named should work with lower lighting, but they still need lighting strong enough for photosynthesis. Also, how recently was your water tested? What kind of filtration ar you running?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? New tanks, say less than three months old, can fluctuate a bit. Good starters are zoas and ricordeas IMO. But I wouldn't add anything until you figure out and correct the nitrate problem. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Soggytees, I have a hanging 165watt led light. It is positioned 6 inches from top of tank and it is the kind that has 2 controls one for the blue lights and one for the other four colors. I have 2 submersible filters that seem to be working well. I might should invest in a skimmer, stuff floating on top. I test it every other day and results are where they should be. I have been doing one third water changes once a week.

OP
OP
S

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glb- the tank has been set up for 8 weeks, it has cycled and been through the brown algae. The nitrates are good and ph good alkaline good and nitrites good

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida ricordea did well as an early coral for me. Zoas are hit or miss but tolerant of less than perfect water conditions. I'd add one at a time and watch it carefully.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still rather new to this, but it appears that your 165 watt&nbsp;LED fixture is at 100% power.<BR>Isn't that too much light for this at only 6" above the tank?<BR>(just a thought)<BR><BR><BR>Allen

chill86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all the research on everything while you are waiting for your tank to mature (4-6 months). Then get the fish and corals that you want. I would not recomend getting starter soft corals because you will later regret the purchase. Once you gain the knowledge of everything splooge on the bounce shrooms, rainbow acans, krak palys and rainbow acros. That's if you decide to go mixed reef!

OP
OP
S

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still rather new to this, but it appears that your 165 watt&nbsp;LED fixture is at 100% power.<BR>Isn't that too much light for this at only 6" above the tank?<BR>(just a thought)<BR><BR><BR>Allen
I ask the guy at our local saltwater store and he said I need this kind of lights for corals. He has the same over some of his tanks so, I invested in this light. It is much stronger then what I had which was one 15 watt white and one 15 watt blue. I usually run the day lights during the day and in the evening turn blue on for a couple hours.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask the guy at our local saltwater store and he said I need this kind of lights for corals. He has the same over some of his tanks so, I invested in this light. It is much stronger then what I had which was one 15 watt white and one 15 watt blue. I usually run the day lights during the day and in the evening turn blue on for a couple hours.

Do the lights have a dimmer?

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U first coral some mushroom soft corals leathers kenya tree and with 165w leds later u keep some sps and lps corals

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you plan on getting the coral? Your tank isn't "mature" yet, so if you want something now I would stay away from expensive or LSP coral. Start with some inexpensive mushrooms, zoanthids (my favorite coral!!) or palys if you want some now. And yes, really think about adding a protein skimmer. Corals need pretty good water quality so you want that nasty stuff out! I know my skimmer fills up with stuff every 2-4 days, and I don't even have my fish in the DT yet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you plan on getting the coral? Your tank isn't "mature" yet, so if you want something now I would stay away from expensive or LSP coral. Start with some inexpensive mushrooms, zoanthids (my favorite coral!!) or palys if you want some now. And yes, really think about adding a protein skimmer. Corals need pretty good water quality so you want that nasty stuff out! I know my skimmer fills up with stuff every 2-4 days, and I don't even have my fish in the DT yet!
It will be awhile, I first want to get the skimmer in, rearrange the rock and wait til it is "mature", which by what I am reading this will take about 4 months. thanks for responding

OP
OP
S

soilsister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer do you have?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Diablo Space Saver, made by Reef Octopus. Hands down the best brand of skimmer IMO, even if you can't find the Diablo models, which I think are discontinued.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back