What's the one thing you wish you had a better handle on?

BryanB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I wish I wasn't such a over feeder. I am constantly fighting diatoms on my sand from over feeding but personally I think it is the sinking pellets I use with the frozen food.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding heavy is not a bad thing IMO. Too many people are under feeding. Just have to find a way to do better with nutrient export. Some conchs will help with your sandbed.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things for me:

1. I wish I hadn't let the xenia get so out of control, as I'd like to focus more on nicer corals.

2. I (sometimes) wish I wasn't so attached to my PBT, as I could then convert my reef into a butterfly tank and that would take care of the xenia problem. But then I also wouldn't be able to do nice corals. (It's always something.) :neutral:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overstock with SPS. This is cool at first, but as they all grow it creates a lot of problems. I need to focus on having less corals, and giving them a good amount of space to grow.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms. They are taking over my tank. Can't give them away fast enough and I have not found a effective way of killing them.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't set up my tank here in SoCal but when I had my tank in Maryland I just couldn't seem to keep LPS happy. SPS and soft corals usually did really well for me but the only LPS that I could keep alive were Duncan's. I miss those green little buggers. I miss all if you guys too and having a tank. I've just been afraid of having my tank set up until I have a wall anchor for it in case of an earthquake. Not something I ever had to worry about on the east coast.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had abetter handle on my skimmer...It will work perfectly for weeks then BAM! it will start to over flow randomly until I micro manage it.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had abetter handle on my skimmer...It will work perfectly for weeks then BAM! it will start to over flow randomly until I micro manage it.

Is it a Coralife Skimmer?

Mine did that then I switched to Reef Octopus and never had it overflow.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things for me:

1. I wish I hadn't let the xenia get so out of control, as I'd like to focus more on nicer corals.

2. I (sometimes) wish I wasn't so attached to my PBT, as I could then convert my reef into a butterfly tank and that would take care of the xenia problem. But then I also wouldn't be able to do nice corals. (It's always something.) :neutral:

Your #1 cracks me up. I feel you pain. When I worked full time at a pet store I was able to convert a 320 from fresh to reef. The owner let me spend a lot on equipment and live stock. I had a dinner plate size rock with a little xenia(just had to add that to my dictionary, auto correct is a pervert) now the xenia covers a massive square foot or more. And that was with weekly fraging. Need to train someone there what to do before it's 8' of xenia.

My better handle...fish room clutter. In addition to six aquariums there are 31 terrarium and I don't always put supplies back in the cabinet or vacuum the floor or get rid of salt creep. Having company usually means a few hours of tidying up

Last edited:

swhobbie1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overstock with SPS. This is cool at first, but as they all grow it creates a lot of problems. I need to focus on having less corals, and giving them a good amount of space to grow.

can you give us some examples of problems...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back