bristel worms and stars

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my tank 2 months ago, I thought I saw a tiny, skinny little worm. Possibly a bristle worm but it disappeared under the sand never to be seen again until yesterday! And he grew up!!! I am assuming if there is one there is more? Yes? And should I remove it? I heard its all part of the tank system and perfectly normal but I could certainly do without them. Do I need them? And will I wind up with 100?

Also I had baby stars at one point. Up to 4 different ones. 1/2 the size of a dime in diameter. I was getting concerned because I know I had at least 4 different ones possibly more. Now, for the first time in about 10 days I do not see them any more. Id that a short lived inhabitance? Or did something kill them? What is the normal life span of a hitch hiker star? Will they all come put when they are grown up like my worm?

I need to know what to prepare for! LOL

As always, thanks

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALSO..... I just found this little bug on the front glass what in the world is this?? I try to take the picture again something with the dark background and blow it up so it's a little blurry but it's about a quarter of an inch.. And it's little legs and wings or what ever it has is moving! I love all the different things going on in the tank but I really could use a few less insects. Eeek!!
Can you identify this?

image.jpg

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many eat specific types of corals. Add any zoas lately by chance?

Yes!!! Mostly frag's but I do have one large rock that has several's Zoa's on it.. Once you had said it could be bad I picked it out of there with tweezers... I am guessing it's not the only one because that's just usually how it works right?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to take the color of the polyps they are eating... did it have any color to it? Might help you narrow it down to which colony they are mostly on. Dip that particular colony , use a turkey baster during, and see what if anything pops off. But yes if you have one you may have more.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to take the color of the polyps they are eating... did it have any color to it? Might help you narrow it down to which colony they are mostly on. Dip that particular colony , use a turkey baster during, and see what if anything pops off. But yes if you have one you may have more.

It was beige or tan... I got lucky and it didn't try to get anything yet

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By dip do you mean rinse them in the tank water before I put them in the tank?

Negative. Dip them using a coral dip. I use coral Rx myself. I have read of most people having success with lugols solution. Definitely something to look into for future coral purchases and as a way to keep pests out of your DT

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back