Frag Plugs (Ceramic or Aragonite) - Pros and Cons of Each - Which do you use?

Which Type of Frag Plugs do you Use?

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use Ceramic or Aragonite Frag Plugs?

Why do you use one type over the other?

Please Post Why.

And Please participate in the attached Poll.

I ask this question because it seems that all the Big Coral Dealers use Ceramic (Typically from Alternative Reef).

http://www.thealternativereef.com/ar/Products.html

I was wondering why?

Are Ceramic Plugs better than Aragonite?

I know Ceramic Frag Plugs cost a little bit more.

Are Frag Plugs from "The Alternative Reef" the best out there?

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only use frag plugs and disks from the alternative reef. I feel that they are easier when it come time to frag to cut and cut cleaner. I'm mostly into z and p so an easy to cut plug is a must for me. Also in my experience they color up quicker and the quality and quality control seems better on them. Some other plugs will vary in size/shape and the plug part itself can vary as well, this can be a real pain in my frag tank with the frag racks from the blue glow. All in all I think they are just a better product for me and my needs.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only use frag plugs and disks from the alternative reef. I feel that they are easier when it come time to frag to cut and cut cleaner. I'm mostly into z and p so an easy to cut plug is a must for me. Also in my experience they color up quicker and the quality and quality control seems better on them. Some other plugs will vary in size/shape and the plug part itself can vary as well, this can be a real pain in my frag tank with the frag racks from the blue glow. All in all I think they are just a better product for me and my needs.

I too do mostly Zoanthids.

Do you use a Frag Saw?

If so do you feel that the Frag Plugs from "The Alternative Reef" give Less Stress on the Frag Saw?

I currently use Aragonite Frag Plugs from "Ocean's Wonders".

They are pretty hard and heavy.

Sometimes my Frag Saw "Grinds Loud" from them.

Propagation Supplies

Above is a Link to the Frag Plugs that I currently use.

Does anybody else use or have used those in the Past (Ocean's Wonders Aragonite Frag Plugs)?

If so what are your thoughts on them?

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too do mostly Zoanthids.

Do you use a Frag Saw?

If so do you feel that the Frag Plugs from "The Alternative Reef" give Less Stress on the Frag Saw?

I currently use Aragonite Frag Plugs from "Ocean's Wonders".

They are pretty hard and heavy.

Sometimes my Frag Saw "Grinds Loud" from them.

Propagation Supplies

Above is a Link to the Frag Plugs that I currently use.

Does anybody else use or have used those in the Past (Ocean's Wonders Aragonite Frag Plugs)?

If so what are your thoughts on them?

Unfortunately no saw for me at the moment.

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA plastic plugs cannot, IME, be cut using a pair of wire pliers. They have to be cut with great effort using a small handsaw or a small electric saw in order to remove the stem.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with those?

I hate those with a passion. When buying coral I always either remove the coral from the plug or if encrusted I break the stem off and glue to my rock. I have never been able to use a plug with a stem on it intact with my rockwork - but it's easy to trim frag plugs with just pliers even. That plastic ORA uses I can't cut it with a pair of metal shears. I used a dremel once, but the coral got really hot and it threw melted plastic everywhere. I don't have a band saw for cutting those. It was even worse when I had a nano and had to position each coral carefully. Pretty much had to break the coral off and toss the encrusted part as I didn't have room for the stem at that time.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when there were only aragonite plugs and only a couple companies making them. Cured them in the toilet tank so every flush rinsed them. Ceramic was a huge deal when they first came out. Now that's all I use, form
AR. Scott's prices great, service is top notch and he has more than just plugs. I use his plugs, disks, tiles and frag stations. They cut easily with my saw or, cutters. Fit in my frag rack and work station. Don't crumble over time like aragonite can. As for the plastic type, coral cradle or ORA try cutting one, talk about hard on a saw. ORA doesn't use them because they are better than other types. It's because there is no mistaking where that frag came from.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when there were only aragonite plugs and only a couple companies making them. Cured them in the toilet tank so every flush rinsed them. Ceramic was a huge deal when they first came out. Now that's all I use, form
AR. Scott's prices great, service is top notch and he has more than just plugs. I use his plugs, disks, tiles and frag stations. They cut easily with my saw or, cutters. Fit in my frag rack and work station. Don't crumble over time like aragonite can. As for the plastic type, coral cradle or ORA try cutting one, talk about hard on a saw. ORA doesn't use them because they are better than other types. It's because there is no mistaking where that frag came from.

You say "Ceramic was a huge deal when they first came out"

What is so Important about Ceramic?

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything new in the hobby, it can be a big deal. In the case of the plugs I think the best part was no more curing.

Tapio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer natural small rock pieaces. I find plugs or discs ugly until they are encrusted by the coral and some species don't encrust well. If I have to get a coral on a disc I prefer soft aragonite so I can cut off the plug or trim it to minimize itse size.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "Curing"?
Aragonite plugs have Portland cement in them. If a large number was added to a system or the water volume was small it could impact the pH. So most people would cure them by soaking them in fresh water and changing the water regularly until the pH was no longer a concern

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aragonite plugs have Portland cement in them. If a large number was added to a system or the water volume was small it could impact the pH. So most people would cure them by soaking them in fresh water and changing the water regularly until the pH was no longer a concern

Does the PH go up or down when using Aragonite Frag Plugs?

Do Ceramic ones affect the PH as well (not as much as Aragonite obviously) or is there no effect on PH whatsoever when using Ceramic Frag Plugs?

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly the Portland cement is very alkaline and can raise the pH.
Now its my belief that the need for curing was overstated, the whole idea of fragging was still new and fragging on a large scale was almost unheard of. No one really knew what a hundred plugs would do to a system. So we cured them. It really is a balance between number of plugs and size of system. I wouldn't put 50 uncured plugs into a bio cube but five wouldn't be a concern.
Ceramic has no effect on pH. Back in the day when I did a LOT of fragging I could add 100+ in one shot and that system was about 100 gallons

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that when I added a bunch of Ceramic Frag Plugs to my new frag tank the Alkalinity went up a couple of points.

Will the Ceramic Frag Plugs raise the Alkalinity as well or no?

Stoopy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best combop, glue and plug, to have the best hold it seems like ic gel doesnt stick to the old aragonite plugs, and coral affix doesnt stick well to ceramic. but is there a best combo?

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best combop, glue and plug, to have the best hold it seems like ic gel doesnt stick to the old aragonite plugs, and coral affix doesnt stick well to ceramic. but is there a best combo?
Use an accelerator. Instantly cures the glue, makes a solid bond with any glue on any surface, and is safe on coral.
Best way is to spray the plug, put glue on frag, have the two meet and done. For smaller stuff like single polyps I do plug+glue+polyp and mist with accelerator.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use an accelerator. Instantly cures the glue, makes a solid bond with any glue on any surface, and is safe on coral.
Best way is to spray the plug, put glue on frag, have the two meet and done. For smaller stuff like single polyps I do plug+glue+polyp and mist with accelerator.

So you mist with the zoanthid on the plug?

That would just kill it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back