Pistol Shrimp just stunned or killed my Anemone

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever heard of the snap from a pistol shrimp hurting an anemone? I just added a new anemone a few days ago and then the pistol shrimp has since parted himself near it. An emerald crap was crawling on the rock near it and the pistol shrimp snapped at it but right afterward the anemone shriveled up. Is it stunned or died? It was looking fine just 5 minutes beforehand. It is a pink Haitian anemone. Here is a pic. I am worried, if it just killed it, then I need to get it out of the tank.

IMG_7400.jpg

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another picture, it is getting smaller. I was fully open and looking nice swinging in the current...now it is shriveled up to almost nothing.

IMG_7401.jpg

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I set up a quick QT and moved him. The lights aren't the strongest on the QT so not ideal but we will see what happens. At least he isn't in the DT in case he dies. Luckily, I am working from home today and I had just happened to be stopping by the tank to look when I saw the pistol shrimp moving toward the crab....the crab completely ignored him and moved on his way to eat but almost immediately, the anemone started deflating.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a pistol hurting a Nem. Bit their snap create quite a shockwave. Enough to kill or stun a fish, so I would think it could at least stun an anemone.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to the "snap", the Nem was fully open and filling up that gap between the big rocks. Its tentacles reaching at least half way up and immediately after the snap, it deflated into what you see in the picture. I guess that it could be a coincidence but I don't believe so. Nothing else had changed in the tank that I am aware of.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Nat Geo video on them not too long ago and it talks about the shockwave. It shows one stunning a cleaner shrimp and then dragging into hole. In my situation, the shrimp was right behind the Nem under the rock and the crab was on the opposite rock eating algae. The shrimp came out about half-way and snapped...so right next to the Nem but not facing it...sort of running parallel to it.

Here is a couple interesting videos about it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXK2G2AzMTU .

Here is the natgeo vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkY_mSwboMQ

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it was just stunned because the Nem is recovering now. It isn't fully extended as much as it was but it is looking better. Man, that was weird.
IMG_7403.jpg

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does also so this was surprising. i think it was that it was right next to it and slightly in front of it but it was an immediately reaction from the Nem....no reaction from the crab though...who was the target of the snap. The crab just ignored the shrimp and kept doing what he was doing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back