CATASTROPHE!! 120g Tank Busted!!

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning at 2am to a giant noise, sounded like somebody slammed a door super hard, followed by what sounded like a waterfall in the living room, ran out to find my tank with a giant crack down the front pane and pouring out water. Luckily I was able to throw nearly all the livestock in buckets/ spare water containers.

The Marineland tank gave way with no warning, was only a month old! Really cant comprehend the horrific insident unless you've been through one, never in my life have I been this freaked out for all my livestock. Thanks to fellow reefers in the area most of it is being housed in their tanks now, but I'm left with the dilema of what to do next... Do I trust another tank?

The crack goes all the way from the bottom left corner to the top middle right hand side, never could have expected something like this.

IMG_5359 by paulkreider60, on Flickr

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear brother.Seem like marineland tanks quality has been horrible from all these post that i've seen.Hopefully all your livestock makes it

OP
OP
PaulKreider

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear brother.Seem like marineland tanks quality has been horrible from all these post that i've seen.Hopefully all your livestock makes it
After this I've been doing some research and it seems there are quite a few incidents like this.... scary to find out.

Yikes! What a nightmare. Glad to hear you saved the livestock, but what about your floors?

The floors aren't bad, luckily being able to catch it I had my brother, roommate and girlfriend all helping, so we able able to tackle getting the livestock and drying the floors simultaneously. They are hardwood floors but they don't look to be damaged even after getting under the crawlspace and looking from underneath.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I'm so sorry that you are going through this!!

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah. This is why we all should have a back up plan! Sorry to hear man. Hope all goes well and you get new tank soon.

ERIC1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me once with my 60 gal glass frag tank! That's why I will never go with glass again. I'd rather deal with acrylic scratch problem than mopping up the water off the floor.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel your pain! Our 70 gal custom cube we had made as our clam dominant tank cracked one morning - full half circle across the back panel. No idea why...

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1427574974739.jpg

This happened yesterday afternoon I feel your pain. 150dd what a pain the 24hrs have been.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
marineland stuff Is garbage.. it Is sad to see how many incidents have actually happened like this... hope everything goes ok

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's awful, im sorry :( Glad you we're able to save everything. Kinda scares me that everyone has had their tanks crack. I got a 150DD, id probably cry if it ever broke like that as its in my basement so i might not hear it if im upstairs or worse, not home

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! That's awful! Nightmare for sure! Have you contacted Marineland yet?

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Really sorry. Something like that would definitely make me think twice about getting another tank

OP
OP
PaulKreider

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I'm contacting them monday, their phones are off during the weekend and I have a direct line to their rep for the store i work at so hopefully this will get resolved.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back