Salt causing ammonia?

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone I posted on my local R2R club forum with no answers so hopefully you guys can help me out.

My LFS told me I had an ammonia reading in my tank of .025ppm and I found this odd but I hadn't tested for ammonia since my tank first cycled about 9 months ago. So I tested my tank and got a reading of about .25 it was a little under but the API test kit did not show clear yellow green like when I tested tap water.

My tap water read .00ppm and so did my RODI water. So I tested fresh mixed RODI and got .25

I am using IO reef crystals. This is with faucet temperature water immediately after mixing and I tested after 24 hours of mixing with a powerhead. I tried using Tropic Marin and got the same result. Is this a false reading or is some type of interaction causing ammonia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel better. My nitrites has been 0 so I was thinking if there was ammonia it would be getting converted. Thank you!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is used to extract some of the chemicals in salt mixes....so it's common to see a small amount in fresh made salt. HERE's a Randy article that might be of interest. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check that out. So is it normal like deerhunter said for me to get a light green API result ?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's normal. HERE is some additional info for you right from SeaChem.

And I'll quote the important part about ammonia from the above link here:

"Consequently, most, if not all, brands of salt contain ammonia, usually enough to yield between 0.1–0.8 mg/L in a freshly prepared batch of saltwater. In most instances, this may not be a problem because the ammonia is diluted by the existing tank water and the biological filter should clear it in short order. But, it is definitely not a promotionable feature of any salt, and, for that reason, has remained a well kept secret."

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you so much! Should I add some prime just to detoxify for fish?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. The biology in your established tank should quickly take care of this ammonia.

EDIT: Just realized I should say, "I don't".....because I do a 20 to 24 percent water change every two weeks....introducing ammonia every time.

Last edited:

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is interesting redfish, didnt know that.....however it probably isnt even detectable in hobby grade test kits am i right?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is interesting redfish, didnt know that.....however it probably isnt even detectable in hobby grade test kits am i right?

It's detectable if your kit can read 0.5 to 1.0 ppm....because that's about were it comes in with fresh saltwater. But please remember that you are only doing some relatively small percent water change, and in an established tank, this ammonia is quickly picked up into the nitrate cycle and is "neutralized."

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing water changes trying to get rid of it...I guess that's not going to happen lol

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for your salt to have this when freshly mixed.. If your testing your display and still getting readings somethings off.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done two 15 gallon water changes and a 5 gallon almost everyday for the past week trying to get rid of Nitrates and I think all this new water is what's causing the small reading in the display. Also had a fish die so I think the tank should do its thing. I am in the process of upgrading from about 68 gallon total system to a little over 100 and making some upgrades to the sump and skimming.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for your salt to have this when freshly mixed.. If your testing your display and still getting readings somethings off.

Quit scaring him Greatwhitetang its the DANG test kit. Come on everyone knows API test kit always has a slight green tint when its 0.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done two 15 gallon water changes and a 5 gallon almost everyday for the past week trying to get rid of Nitrates and I think all this new water is what's causing the small reading in the display. Also had a fish die so I think the tank should do its thing. I am in the process of upgrading from about 68 gallon total system to a little over 100 and making some upgrades to the sump and skimming.

I dont think so man if your tank is properly cycled i would assume this ammonia from the salt would be processed so quickly that it would never even register on your test kit. Just like fish poop its ammonia but we dont get readings on it.

Now as to your fish dying i didnt know that.....What kind of fish?

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot going on and a larger water volume diluting a biological hiccup I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, was just stating they don't read below 1 and if your seeing some green. There is ammonia present, yes I would get a different kit, no I wouldmt worry much give all the biology time to correct after all the moving and tinkering.
Quit scaring him Greatwhitetang its the DANG test kit. Come on everyone knows API test kit always has a slight green tint when its 0.
Not scaring anybody but api kits are not that unreliable. I see. A slight green on freshly mixed water but never on my display when testing with their kits. If I do see a slight green I would test with a kit with a lower range to. See. Where it's at.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i give up...You should never worry about ammonia after your cycle unless you add 50 fish at once or live rock with die off something like that. I havent checked my ammonia in 2 years, the only time i do is if im cycling a new tank.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i give up...You should never worry about ammonia after your cycle unless you add 50 fish at once or live rock with die off something like that. I havent checked my ammonia in 2 years, the only time i do is if im cycling a new tank.
I agree once a system is established it is a menial and useless task and that u do not do it on a regular basis by any means, but with that said he is making volume changes, and adding and messing with biological Filtration aspects that can cause spikes, it's Not Entirely a bad idea to test just to make sure :)

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a false moorish idol or stripped banner fish. Small. Was on the powerhead so that probably helped to spread any nitrates. He had just been added with another fish that is doing fine. I had nitrates down to 5-10 but now reading around 30 so doing a 15 gallon change to reduce that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, salt mixes do have a small amount of ammonia, but unless you are doing frequent, massive water changes, it is a trivially small contribution relative to the large amounts produced in the tank every day from metabolized fish food.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back