lagoon style reef tank

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a tank above my sump since i have the room and I was going to do a remote fuge but my fuge I have now is working fine.

My sump is in the basement and we walk by it as soon as you come down the stairs. So i want to put something above it as a display since the area is in viewing when you walk by.

So I was thinking a lagoon style display with sea grass and other plants, maybe a few fish.

The question is I can feed it the display tank from my return, will that be ok, and have it drain back into the skimmer section or should it go right back into the return section?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool.
I don't see why you couldn't feed it from the display, maybe more nutrient control then on to the skimmer.

I'm just guessing, as I don't know anything about aquatic plants, but seem to be more filtration, if not it will at least feed nutrients to the plants.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was wanting to add seagrass to my 120 quite some time ago and was told it's very difficult to keep long term. I'm not sure why that is, or if it's even true.
Also, a lot of seagrasses grow painfully slowly and are protected species (at least in my part of the world) as they are the sole food for some endangered marine animals.
I'd look into exactly what your wanting to buy before you get some :)

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking instead of a "sea grass" bed doing a GSP mat across the bottom of the tank

I just want it to look different and I thought last night that gsp grows anywhere and it would give it a nice clean look

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back