Red Sea Coral Pro Salt cloudy

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I mixed up some 22 gallons of saltwater using the Red Sea salt. It was the coral pro version and I have used it before with no problems. However this time I needed to do a water change because of some problems with my water. I mix the water up with RODI and the salt following all the instructions. I mixed it for two hours and checked it. Water is clear salinity is a little high. Put in a gallon of RODI water mix for 30 minutes check salinity and bingo the water is perfect. This is Sunday night by the way. Monday after school I check the water and it's clear. I was going to do the change but I had to work that night and do some homework so I put it off for Tuesday. Tuesday comes and after school I go to get the water and it is extremely cloudy. I can't see 6 inches into the water. No mixing had been done but some how the water changed drastically. I have no idea what this is (my guess would be precipitation of calcium) and know I am afraid to use the saltwater to do my change. If some one could help give me guidance in what happened that would be much appreciated. As of now I am extremely disappointed at the salt mix. Thanks!

Blake

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what Red Sea said about the problem
"Coral-Pro salt has elevated levels of Foundation Elements in order to encourage accelerated coral growth.
Therefore when it is not properly mixed it might cause precipitation.
It requires a vigorous mixing, that won’t allow accumulation of salt at the bottom of the mixing container.
As long as the salt is suspended, it will dissolve faster and more efficiently.

In general there are a few reasons that might cause that phenomenon:
1. Stratification of the salt- sometimes when a bucket of salt travels a lot, the shaking and vibrating causes the mix to separate according to grain size.
Dry mixing the salt, by rolling the bucket on the floor for a few minutes, or pouring the dry salt from one bucket to another a few times, will solve this issue.

2. Mixing the salt with pre warmed water.
I recommend mixing at ambient temperature, and then bring the temp. up.

3. The pump you are using might not be strong enough.
(I don't know strong your pump is)

4. Adding water to salt and not salt to water- always add the salt slowly to the water.

I think that you have more than one contributing factor…

I hope I helped.
Keep me posted, tell me what worked for you.
Have a good evening,
Aviad
"

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump is strong enough and I mixed it at room temperature. Don't see why something would go wrong

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what Red Sea said about the problem
"...........
4. Adding water to salt and not salt to water- always add the salt slowly to the water.

I just wanted to clarify because this statement is contradicting (I'm guessing a mis-type job).......Always add salt to the water. Never add water to the dry salt. The reason, if you add water to the salt, you create high concentrations that will cause precipitation.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. And is the salt mix still usable? It's getting a little clearer but still cloudy.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be and is. It's just because of the prolonged mixing. I think it's the precipitation. But I ran into that once when I mixed it for an extended period of time. On YouTube there is a video by red sea that advised against mixing for a long time and to use soon after mixing(much shorter period than most salts) . I watched it long ago after I ran into that myself.

Found it:

Coral Pro Salt - Mixing guide for quick and easy …: http://youtu.be/UlIHJ02NaKk

I never had a problem after this..

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea coral pro salt is not to be mixed for longer than 4 hours max... I left my batch once for 24 hours and my tank was very cloudy after the change

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u check ammonia and trace elements if they are all good I would just use it. Did it clear back up? I'm always afraid of my heating my water cause I use an old heater from old tank and I worry about die off on it triggering a cycle in my new water. That's why I don't let it sit long.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost clear but I am still a little worried about using it. I am going to pick up some saltwater from my LFS and I will use that water to restart my biocube.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back