Replacing all the sand in my reef

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around 6 months old so the sand bed is relatively new; carabsea hawaii black. I want to switch it out for TE miniflakes (already purchased) cause I love how the white sand reflects light to the underside of my rocks vs the black sand.

Any ideas experience trying ot remove all the sand and once and replace it, I am looking for some ideas how to make the switch easy as possible?

Thanks

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon a portion not more than 1/4 of the sand out a week. I did this as well and it work decently. Just don't want the system to get unbalanced removing it all at once. A 1/4 each week will allow the rocks and equipment to pick up the slack. It took me about a month to switch out mine, but that allowed me to start a cycle on my TE sand. I did it with old water and some of the sand I pulled 1st. All done in buckets. Just my way and my opinion, there may be a better idea someone may advise of.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a lot of your bacteria responsible for waste export is in the gravel and depending on depth may also have nitrate fixing bacteria, removing the sand and adding new would likely cause the tank to go through another cycle and may release toxins (formaldehyde gas) from the removal and replacement of the sand bed. You will most likely lose any fish and corals that are still in the tank. Many people remove them completely and run a bare bottom with success (tons of water changes). replacing it is asking for disaster in my experience and opinion.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is I dont want to mix the sands if that makes sense, I might try half at a shot.

Seth fhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this recently. First I drained about 3/4 of my tanks water into buckets put all my corals and fish in a bucket, my live rock on plastic bags with wet newspaper over them, then removed the sand completely. I decided to try out going bare bottom. Everything went well and I had no deaths

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back