moving a tank 15 min away

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family is moveing I plan on putting all rock and coral in ice chest and drums with water then drain the tank down to al most to sand bed . What u think will happen I move all kinds of fresh water stuff befor same way yall think I'll lose my coral and fish my tank has been running for 3 years now looks awsome ATM .

Thank unc skinny t

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres how I've moved large tanks.
Live Rock into tubs. Throwing newspaper soaked, over top. Saving some water from the tank in 5g buckets, throwing it on the rock from time to time, to keep it from drying out. Next bes thing would be to put it all in totes, on wheels with saltwater in it.
Sand has got to come out. Throw it in 5g buckets, to be rinsed out really well before adding it back to the tank. This is crucial, as this is the stuff that can ruin your day when setting it all back up, throwing your tank into a cycle, and the nasty crap it will release.
Have the appropriate amount of water already made ahead of time, and to temp
Fish in totes.
Corals in totes.

Set tank in new spot
Throw in your cleaned out sand bed.
Throw your hose in, and pump in the new water, only half way.
Get your LR in place, if you need more water, then by all means add a bit more.
Get the LR set in place, set up powereads, throw in the fish. Place corals. Set up lighting, and skimmer.

OP
OP
bichirfreak

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome I'll try it Friday and post how it went thanks hope I don't lose any corals that's my main worry

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres how I've moved large tanks.
Live Rock into tubs. Throwing newspaper soaked, over top. Saving some water from the tank in 5g buckets, throwing it on the rock from time to time, to keep it from drying out. Next bes thing would be to put it all in totes, on wheels with saltwater in it.
Sand has got to come out. Throw it in 5g buckets, to be rinsed out really well before adding it back to the tank. This is crucial, as this is the stuff that can ruin your day when setting it all back up, throwing your tank into a cycle, and the nasty crap it will release.
Have the appropriate amount of water already made ahead of time, and to temp
Fish in totes.
Corals in totes.

Set tank in new spot
Throw in your cleaned out sand bed.
Throw your hose in, and pump in the new water, only half way.
Get your LR in place, if you need more water, then by all means add a bit more.
Get the LR set in place, set up powereads, throw in the fish. Place corals. Set up lighting, and skimmer.

Why would you leave the rock with newspaper out throwing water on it occasionally?

Just completely submerse it in Buckets with Saltwater so you get no die off.

As for Sand I would just buy new sand as it does hold a lot of crap that could ruin a tank.

Why risk it.

Buy new sand.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you leave the rock with newspaper out throwing water on it occasionally?

Just completely submerse it in Buckets with Saltwater so you get no die off.

Containers carrying live rock and water is much, much heavier than containers with just live rock, and is much more likely to damage, or at least make a mess, in hallways, furniture and cars it is transported in.

As for Sand I would just buy new sand as it does hold a lot of crap that could ruin a tank.

Why risk it.

Buy new sand.

This I agree with completely.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved LR 6 hours away by placing in cooler with wet newspaper. If I had any die off, I didn't see it. Also, get some of the pool noodles. cut them up and place between tank/stand/truck to prevent damage. Cheep and easy to use.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Containers carrying live rock and water is much, much heavier than containers with just live rock, and is much more likely to damage, or at least make a mess, in hallways, furniture and cars it is transported in.

This I agree with completely.

The longer you have Live Rock out of water the more Beneficial Bacteria that Dies.

You also need water for the Tank so just combine the Water and the Rock.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you have Live Rock out of water the more Beneficial Bacteria that Dies.

You also need water for the Tank so just combine the Water and the Rock.

The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate are aerobic, meaning they need oxygen. If submerged without flow oxygen is rapidly depleted and the bacteria drown. Being kept damp *** newspaper it keeps them wet enough to survive and allows necessary oxygen to be available for respiration.

OP
OP
bichirfreak

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I just toss my sand and go bare bottom still haven't moved

OP
OP
bichirfreak

bichirfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR I got it down but if my sand well cause that much of n issue I would want to go bare i like the idea of no sand blowing around getting on LR and coral that drives me nuts

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this. I used 2 30 gallon totes 5 gallon buckets for frags and a 32 gallon trash can. Ditch the sand, IMO, and use new when you set up, sand is a nutrient trap and you're asking for a quick algae bloom as soon as you settle in if you don't go bare bottom(I did as well). I ditched the last 10 gallons and replaced with new water. Good luck and mind the 6p's(prior planning prevents poor performance), as sounds like you have plenty of time till this friday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back