Help please!!!!!

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently upgraded tanks and I decided to go from a all inclusive system to no an overflow sump system. It's been since January the tank has been set up and I'm fighting a case of cloudy tank syndrome. What I mean by that is, it gas been 4 1/2 months that the tank has bee up and running. Now it is a reef tank with corals in it, mostly zoa's and acans, but I'm fighting a foggy tank. So here is the entire list of system......tank is a 60gal deep blue edge rimless cube, the light is the AI hydra 52, the sump was an eshops dual chamber and I have now changed over to a custom 4 chamber sump with live rock and carbon, the pump was the deep blue triton 4, I used the caribe sea life rock for the aquascape, I have 5 different fish, snails, blue legged and a blood shrimp. The tank stays at a close climate of 78.3 deg, if it changes it's by a 1/2 or. Full degree. The filtration is the 200 micron filter sock, in the center chamber I'm using the big black square sponge and on top of that I like to put filter floss just for extra filtration. So it's been two weeks since i did my last water change of 15gal, I use the Red Sea coral pro salt and publix r/o water. I have used publix r/o for years on my last system and never had an issue. I don't know what else I can do to fix it, I can't figure out what else I can do, the only thing left to do is break down the tank and turn it into an all inclusive system. Any help would be great, please let me know if anyone has ever had this same issue and if so what did you do fix it? Thank you again.

P.s.... Here is a pic of my last tank, it was a show stopper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 242

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run carbon, or other chemical media? Could be a bacterial or algae bloom. Do you dose anything? Also a current photo might help.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time you changed the carbon?
Also, I didn't see you running Macro Algae in the sump, nor did I see a Skimmer. Should have one or both on a 60g tank imo.
Also, could you list your water params?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sportfisherman

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it's been getting worse the past couple days, it actually looks like I just put a bag of sand in it. I don't know what the heck to do to fix it. What have you done to yours?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have filter floss? This might help to reduce the cloudiness.

OP
OP
sportfisherman

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter floss, plus the other filter pad and then on top of that I have 200micron filter,

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet what to do about it from what I'm reading mine is prob from my salt the calcium participate. Letting it sit with no circulation overnight to see if there's any changes if not I'll prob have to change out all my water. Which is kinda depressing lol. Will have to contact instant ocean.

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about 10 hrs and no change so I turned everything back on. Here's a pic to compare to.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1429368665.901954.jpg

Hope there's a way to fix this id hate to have to break down the tank being I just got a cycle goin.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow in that tank? Skimmer? Sump?

OP
OP
sportfisherman

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running. 840gph pump, as well as a 240gph koralia, I just had my water tested and all parameters tested perfect, no nitrites or nitrates...... I'm dumbfounded on the whole thing

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its an Ammonia Bloom then. You didnt' say you didnt' have any Ammonia

OP
OP
sportfisherman

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, yea ammonia was fine, we determined that it wasn't that either, I'm thinking it might possibly be the caribe sea life rock. Anyone use that before?

kbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think reefing madness is talking about the salt mix. I went to two lfs and they say it's a bacteria bloom to just let it sit with just the return on till the cycle finishes. So idk I guess only time will tell.

OP
OP
sportfisherman

sportfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt mix that I use is the Red Sea coral pro and I do it the house, I actually share it with my neighbor that also has a spectacular bio cube show tank and his is fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back