Canopy users question

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how much weight canopy wise can a tank safely support ? I am in the middle of building a matching oak canopy and as carrying a 10ft 12" oak board for the build it started to concern me the weight the tank will be carrying . Any one out there have an idea what a tank can support ? What their canopy weighs/tank size ? I have a 6' oceanic tank very thick well built tank but I by no means want to push that envelope .

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 3/4" plywood for my build. Takes two people to carry the canopy. It's been on there for 10 years no problem. 125G

OP
OP
onetire

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a canopy on any tanks of mine before and figured I better get some input before I have hundreds invested in oak boards . Thanks

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think unless you're building a tank of a canopy, you've got nothing to worry about. I'm sure glass can hold quite a bit of weight in the vertical edge. I have a walnut canopy with my lights hanging from it resting on my 220. It actually only rests on the two ends of my tank. It's quite heavy, but I've only taken it off once in two years.

I'd say you'll be fine and have nothing to worry about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429460176.279418.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429460538.375156.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back