Is the hobby becoming too pricy? Discussion

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I chose to write you to you today about an Increasing issue throughout our hobby.
It is as simple as one word: Price.

Countless times have I seen people discouraged or choosing not to join the hobby, because equipment, corals and fish have become so expensive. This discourages so many new hobbyists, especially youth.
Recently I have realized that adding livestock to my tank in the past year has become much more expensive.
Just last year I bought two Wp-25 power heads for $60, just this past Monday I payed $80 for one.

Is the coral name game driving the price up (one of my opinions), or is it something else? I'd love to hear!

I wrote this thread in hopes for ALL people to share their opinions on this matter with no JUDGING or any HATE against others. Especially because you do not know what situation others are in...

Thanks all,
Hope to hear your opinions on this.

(please note: I am not complaining about prices, just looking for what people think on the issue).

Last edited:

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We each must answer to our own actions. I typically sell to anyone and everyone, new and seasoned, cheaper than what i bought the piece for. same with used equipment. Plus I think i make more selling bulk and know I made someone else happy. win win.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sign of a stronger economy. People have more expendable income. Supply and demand drive everything. If you see higher end items, that's a good thing. There is such a wide range of prices that there is something for everyone. Complaining about high prices is a different issue.

OP
OP
macscale

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sign of a stronger economy. People have more expendable income. Supply and demand drive everything. If you see higher end items, that's a good thing. There is such a wide range of prices that there is something for everyone. Complaining about high prices is a different issue.

Not complaining, noting the increasing price in the hobby.

Is there a point where it may get to be too much?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a nano to keep costs down and never buy expensive corals for two reasons. First, there's tons of beautiful inexpensive ones. Second and more importantly, it lowers my stress if the coral doesn't do well in my tank. I think there's an entry level for SW tanks at any price point if you shop smart. I totally agree with you that the 'name game' markups are ridiculous. I never buy that stuff. I've gotten LEDs for a reasonable price and haven't gotten a controller system yet because of cost. Usually cost is a trade-off for convenience. If you don't mind doing some things manually, that can save you a ton of money. Great post!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can get $$ for sure, but if you shop smart and have access to a local club, you can do alot with not alot of coin.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Totally agree with you. You can trade frags fish or equipment on different forums. You can even buy USED equipment for less then half the price from other hobbyist and in this hobby I noticed reefers keep their equipment pristine. I live in NYC one of the most expensive cities in the world and I still find 5$-15$ frags at a lot of LFS. If you want high end items you will pay high end prices

OP
OP
macscale

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with you. You can trade frags fish or equipment on different forums. You can even buy USED equipment for less then half the price from other hobbyist and in this hobby I noticed reefers keep their equipment pristine. I live in NYC one of the most expensive cities in the world and I still find 5$-15$ frags at a lot of LFS. If you want high end items you will pay high end prices

That's a good point, but at the same time is there more of a variety of stores in NYC?
Because there is also the counter where stores may drive prices down to bring more traffic in.

I do know that in my area, 1" frags go about $20-25.. So it's not terribly bad.
But in general have you noticed any price rises?

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm not sure if there more variety there's a few stores that charge an arm and a leg 1 being manhattan aquariums I stay away from there cause I could barely afford to look at anything. I found 2 great family owned stores here where they do work with you on prices and they are alway willing to negotiate. But that's just me, anywhere I go I ask if they can do a better price you'll be surprised how many places are willing to work with you. Might not be a great deal all the time but they'll shave a dollar or 2 if they can

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point, but at the same time is there more of a variety of stores in NYC?
Because there is also the counter where stores may drive prices down to bring more traffic in.

I do know that in my area, 1" frags go about $20-25.. So it's not terribly bad.
But in general have you noticed any price rises?

I think it totally depends on the type of coral you're talking about. 'Trendy' corals only command a price that people will pay and when a new trend comes out, the older trend prices will drop. If I see an expensive coral I like, I wait until it's not the 'it' coral anymore and get it for much less.

OP
OP
macscale

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if there more variety there's a few stores that charge an arm and a leg 1 being manhattan aquariums I stay away from there cause I could barely afford to look at anything. I found 2 great family owned stores here where they do work with you on prices and they are alway willing to negotiate. But that's just me, anywhere I go I ask if they can do a better price you'll be surprised how many places are willing to work with you. Might not be a great deal all the time but they'll shave a dollar or 2 if they can

Yeah I agree for the most part. I feel like new reefers who don't have connections with the stores probably have a lower end because they may be shy with them. The bigger the name in my area the more they charge (store name).

I think it totally depends on the type of coral you're talking about. 'Trendy' corals only command a price that people will pay and when a new trend comes out, the older trend prices will drop. If I see an expensive coral I like, I wait until it's not the 'it' coral anymore and get it for much less.

I've found that my LFS won't change their price unless you talk to them. Not negotiating but like have a conversation with them and they'll be like "oh yeah we lowered the prices here"...
Unfortunately "it" corals are rare commodities here.

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have noticed prices rise on certain pieces. Like I would love a piece from Jason fox or cornbred they have extremely rare colored frags and they do sell some stuff you can get any where as well for example I've seen them sell pieces of monti or cyphastrea for like 80/90$ and I've seen the same pieces at my LFS for like 20$. I'm not going with their pieces cause they named it something crazy and has their name on it

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I compare this hobby to a car. You buy a car some people want to hook it up and same thing with a tank. You have to do maintenance on a car just like on a tank. And we know owning car isn't cheap just like a tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy cheap Chinese wave makers and they've worked fantastic for me. 23 dollars shipped for 2 1300 gph power heads. I've replaced almost half of my wave makers with these I think I have 6 or 8 now.

Lighting is much cheaper my cheap black box LEDs work fantastic for me. Fish are definitely getting expensive but I would rather pay more money - I at least hope I am paying for better husbandry... Another reason divers den is my retailer of choice

Fish are expensive but I am a car nut and my car hobby dwarves this one in expenditures..

And check out the signature, I have a lot of coin in fish... And that's not all of them :/

Last edited:

Phishy McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find where I'm from (BC Canada) the cost of fish and coral are going way up! I mean 5 years ago a small hippo tang was maybe $30, now $60. "Basic" coral like hammer or torch have gone way way up. SPS are through the roof, small colonies used to be $59 now you can get 2 inch frags for that price for a lot of them. Fairy Wrasses that used to be $30 are now $60. A nice red donut coral is priced at $400 and will sell for sure, but 400? Not for me...

My LFS says its the cost of shipping the items that drives the cost up. The water weighs a lot so shipping is super expensive. I'm just glad my tank is stocked full of coral and I can buy frags off reefers...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy people's setups as they leave hobby and take what I want and sell the rest. That's how I "ball on a budget"

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We each must answer to our own actions. I typically sell to anyone and everyone, new and seasoned, cheaper than what i bought the piece for. same with used equipment. Plus I think i make more selling bulk and know I made someone else happy. win win.
[emoji4]

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its way to expensive I have 10k in my set up and its not even that big .. 120 gal and a 180 gal sump
uploadfromtaptalk1430000830915.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430000869369.jpg
it is verry sad that it is so expensive and I don't think things are EVER going to change

Rattooth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things in aquarium hobby are costing more. But there are ways to save on corals, by trading what you have that grows like crazy to someone else . They invariably think that your "weed" you prune just to make room is the neatest thing ever.
I do think aquarium costs rising are more linked to general economy than anything else. Most everything costs more than it did a few years ago . Food? Energy?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I do hate is spending $90.00 for a booger sized frag. Have I bought one?, no. Will I ever?, only if I win a lottery or a decent sized scratch off.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back