Filter sock or not?

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think filter socks are great for the non-lazy....I am one of those "lazy bottoms" lol

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using nylon mesh filter socks. They don't polish quite as well but work nearly as good and last longer between changes. They're also much easier to clean out.

OP
OP
tonybwill

tonybwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 for now. It came with my new eshopp sump, will get more. Washing and drying it as we speak.

OP
OP
tonybwill

tonybwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will read up on different types of socks. How often do you change them?

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 150 nylon mesh socks and change every 2-3 days. Rinse them in the sink and put them aside in a big zip lock bag. When I start running out I put a little bleach in soak, then rinse, soak in prime then rinse and dry. It sounds like more work than it is and I'm probably overdoing it.

I got them from this site, you have to buy 25 but I sold my extras quickly on a local forum.

FilterBag.com

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good I think... I have 3 and change out every 2-3 days... In washing machine, with a little bleach, rince second time to be safe... Back in sump...

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set of ten, which means 20 of them. I rotate, change them about 1 time a week. When i remove the dirty ones stick them in a bucket with a cap of bleach and some water and let them collect and sit. Once I am down to 1 set i throw the others in the washer. Once the last set is ready to be changed i start the cycle over again.

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them on my new tank.

I use a standard felt bag. Switch between 100-200 micron.

I sell industrial filters so I buy about 50 of them at a time and toss them when I'm finish.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from using one for a few hours during a water change, I've never really found the need to run one 24/7. A happy healthy reef tank should have some particulate matter floating around in it IMO, whether that's detritus, food or zooplankton.

chaoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them for about 4 years. Change it every week. Clean it in the washer with bleach and extra rinse

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using them since i sent the tank up in Feb. this yr. 100 micron bags and change every 2 days. Sometimes every morning as I have 20 bags which is enough for ten days. Every weekend I turn them inside out and them spray with a water hose inside a plastic tote that has holes in the bottom. Gets them pretty clean (in less than a hour) then toss them in the washing machine hot water with a splash of bleach. Rinse, then wash cycle with no bleach they look like new. It is amazing how dirty they are in just 2 days. 125 gals soft coral and a large mated pair of Clarki clown fish, cuban hogfish, sailfin tang, hippo tang, purple tang, foxface, Flagfin Angelfish, and the smallest of them all is a blue devil dansel that is 3 inchs long.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back