Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been on my mind lately. I myself don't feed a lot - so I end up with a lot of old food and or expired. Of course this would change with frozen to dry food. I am inquiring on frozen.

So my question is old frozen food - throw away or use.

I have had crazy po4 for some time now and trying to locate the culprit almost took my tank out. Now I am starting to question my food.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good question along these lines - what's a good way to do a controll test for level of po4 being added with food used

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also add techniques folks use to add less po4 when feeding - rinsing drying food etc.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if in doubt, pitch it. It's not worth the risk when food isn't that outrageously expensive compared to the value of our livestock.

coolfish5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least for dry food 1 year after its open to toss it and get new, 3 years from manufacture date on a sealed container. Many of the vitamins break down over that time so the nutrition value drops significantly. And if you haven't used it in a year, or more, are you really going to use it at all? Speaking of, I think I have some food that needs to be thrown out.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless its really nasty looking, I will use it. If its gone bad and I can't tell, the fish will and just wont eat it lol

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my fish.lol - as you can tell by me having year old fish food..... I don't feed much (once a day missing a day every few) so my Lil guys n gals eat anything that hits under the water lol they also do an amazing job at their job - algae or pests etc.

kuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't feed much in the past but then my six line got very hungry and ate THE ENTIRE CLEAN UP CREW. LOL But anyway ,I would say keep frozen food one year and dry food 3-4 years

kuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen food has some po4 it, so you might want to consider washing it in a tightly woven strainer. (tap water or rodi water works great)

lsaint88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think the frozen fish food i have in the freezer for over 2 years is bad lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back