possible dumb question?

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my girlfriend and I are going to Disney world the second week of June and I was planning on going to some fish stores down there. I was wondering what are some good stores to see. I was also wanting to go to some down there to get some more advice for my tank and if it was possible for me to actually bring a water sample in and have them test it for me. I am tired of getting sps and it dying all the time and I'm willing to try anything.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there no stores around you in WV that could test your water for you? I'm not quite sure if you could bring the water with you and have it tested maybe a couple days later. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

I would definitely go to World wide corals though. I just did a quick google map and it seems they're only ~20 mins away from Disney

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals is only about 20-25 minutes from Disney. Living Reef is another great store, but it's near the University of Central Florida, or about 40-45 minutes from Disney. Can't answer about the water testing. Have fun.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can drive where ever around Orlando I was just going to see if they are getting what I'm getting and there is one but I can only test for nitrate nitrite and ammonia there

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have any test kits of your own? Or do you think that your test kits might be off.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely stop at WWC! If your trying to keep sps corals u may want to invest in some water testing kits for yourself to save ya stress and money in the long run. Red Sea kits is what i use.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals is the place I would suggest. I also like Top Shelf Aquatics but they are north of Orlando in Winter Park.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea and api test kits but I just want a second opinion because I cant keep my sps alive for the life of me and I don't know If Its because my test are off or not

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go To World Wide Corals! I travel all over the country for business and try to visit LFS that specialize in reefs when I have some extra time and most are a complete waste of time. World Wide Corals is a must visit if you are in the Orlando area! Their 2 tanks in the showroom are awesome and they have a huge assortment of frags. Do it....you won't be disappointed.

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC in store price is usually higher than if you get stuff from their live sale or eBay auction. And since you will need to ship back anyway. You are not really saving on shipping.

Top shelf and WWC are both wonderful store. Love being in town and can go to either store anytime.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend WWC and Living reef. How long has your tank been set up? It took my tank a year and a half before it could support SPS. What are your parameters and lighting?

reefjunkie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to start getting SPS I would suggest your own test kits you have to be spot on with Acropora and that would just be too difficult having to get your water tested from other people I recommend Hannah checkers I love mine and you get a digital readout [emoji4]

dmjr1201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC, Top Shelf, Living Reef, Sea In the city, Exotic Fish and Reef, Reefers Direct are a few lfs in the area...

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea and api test kits but I just want a second opinion because I cant keep my sps alive for the life of me and I don't know If Its because my test are off or not
As long as they're not expired and you're following directions I'm sure the tests are right.

There's a ton of very smart people here I'm sure we could get to the bottom of your issue. To start what's your levels at and what's happening to your coral that they keep dying

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca: 420, pH:8.0, phosphate: 0, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate:5, dKH: 12, mag: 1230, salinity: 1.025, temp: 79 but gets to 80 sometimes. and they keep bleaching out but I already have a forum stated about that I was just wanting to know of good stores in Orlando and if it would be ok to get another opinion of my water

reefjunkie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pushing it for your alk they could easily be getting alk burn

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to start getting SPS I would suggest your own test kits you have to be spot on with Acropora and that would just be too difficult having to get your water tested from other people I recommend Hannah checkers I love mine and you get a digital readout [emoji4]

+1

You get more satisfaction testing yourself with the added benefit of saving in the long run.

If your going to test yourself Hanna checkers are most def the way to go. You'll feel much more confident with the results vs an Api test kit or the like.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back