How to introduce pods?

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90g is just a week old and is still testing high for ammonia so I it'll be awhile before I add any thing but got to thinking today.

I used dry sand and dry rock to start this tank in an effort to keep the tank as "clean" and disease free as possible and will be using a QT. This leaves me without a seed for a pod population. I would like to eventually have a Red Spotted Scooter Blenny and realize they need pods as they are tricky to feed. So the question is:

1) Do I risk infection and get some LR or cheato from the LFS for the sump?

2) Or order some and just add em to the tank? If so what kind? Amphipods??, Copepods??, tisbe??, tiger??

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start adding corals you will end up with plenty hitchhiking. It would be much quicker to just order a few thousand. Good luck

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added pods from ipsf.com (amphipods) and algaebarn.com (copepods - tigriopus and tisbe). Letting them get established for a bit before I add fish since I started with dry rock and sand as well.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go the "dump em' in" route I think. getyourpods.com has a 1200 BOGO for ~$35. Not to bad compared to what i've spent on this tank so far!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering and adding some would be the easiest way to go. Yet a little caulerpa/cheato from LFS or a friend can seed your tank. you will risk infection anyway when you add corals or fish from LFS.

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90g is just a week old and is still testing high for ammonia so I it'll be awhile before I add any thing but got to thinking today.

I used dry sand and dry rock to start this tank in an effort to keep the tank as "clean" and disease free as possible and will be using a QT. This leaves me without a seed for a pod population. I would like to eventually have a Red Spotted Scooter Blenny and realize they need pods as they are tricky to feed. So the question is:

1) Do I risk infection and get some LR or cheato from the LFS for the sump?

2) Or order some and just add em to the tank? If so what kind? Amphipods??, Copepods??, tisbe??, tiger??

You might also look up Paul B's baby brine shrimp feeder when you do get the Blenny

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your pods.com BOGO is a great deal .
I add mine after the lights go out.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all wasting money when buying PODs. Wait till the tank cycles and add some frags and/or chaeto. Even when you dip a frag in Coral RX, pods will survive and multiply. Don't over think it. Less is more and time is money in this hobby.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all wasting money when buying PODs. Wait till the tank cycles and add some frags and/or chaeto. Even when you dip a frag in Coral RX, pods will survive and multiply. Don't over think it. Less is more and time is money in this hobby.

This is true, however after 9 months for pods to populate using the method you describe, my RSB decimated the seemingly abundant supply and then began to starve. I was just thinking I could boost the start population.

BTW. Where are you at in Tampa area. I just moved from Zephyrhills to Texas. Definitely miss the much larger selection of SW fish stores Tampa has compared to Texas.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ReelRednekReefer,

Good call on going the dry route to avoid hitchhikers, you will not regret this long term. Copepods can tolerate high ammonia levels and will aid in the cycling of your tank so seeding is a good idea. The approach I recommend is to seed your tank with an appropriate amount of pods and maintain them with a Live Phytoplankton blend- copepods and coral filet mignon. Doing this will ensure that your pod populations has enough to eat and thrive in your tank and adding new pods is only necessary every 3-5 months (you wont need as many as you did when you seed, probably just a bag or two to diversify your genetics and fight off a decline in population fitness). This is by far the most cost-effective way to ensure your tank's ecosystem is balanced at all trophic levels. As suggested above, you'll ideally want to give the pods some time to settle in and establish themselves before introducing any predators (fish, inverts, etc). This is a start small approach where the goal is to build a balanced ecosystem from the bottom up starting with the smallest mouths (phyto and pods) and working your way up. We offer 3000+ copepods ($25) + 16oz of live phyto ($15) for $40 with free shipping and an industry leading 100% Alive On Arrival (AOA) Gurantee. Cheers!

Lan

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just had my wife pick me up some cheato and was going to look at my "pod" options tonight! Gonna order right now! How long does 16oz phyto last if fed as directed?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great deal! I just ordered some as well. I get them occasionally for my mandarin goby. I just temp acclimate them and dump them in the tank. Most seem to get eaten before they even get to the sand so definitely add them at night. Better chance of survival.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to introduce my pods to each other by using their first names. I find a shy pod, then nudge him over to a more easy going pod and introduce them.
You can see them in this video dancing the macarana

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I just had my wife pick me up some cheato and was going to look at my "pod" options tonight! Gonna order right now! How long does 16oz phyto last if fed as directed?

Our OceanMagik Live Phyto blend will last 4 weeks when stored in the fridge- it can be used until it starts to smell like rotten egg, indicating expiration. As directed, a 16oz bottle would last your 90gal approx. 2 weeks. We also offer a 32oz bottle of OceanMagik for $25 which is the size I would recommend for a normally stocked 90gal tank per month. Keep in mind that there is a difference between a tank with 2 corals and a tank with 200. While we give a good generalized dosing measure it is by no means set in stone and should be adjusted on a case by case basis depending on your tanks needs and your personal goals. Some dose daily and others only once per week, it is up to you!

Lan

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to introduce my pods to each other by using their first names. I find a shy pod, then nudge him over to a more easy going pod and introduce them.
You can see them in this video dancing the macarana

Paul, you never fail to make me laugh! I'll have to try it. Maybe a couple vodka doses to loosen everyone up!?

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from Algae Barn several times and have never had a problem. I have an order shipping today. Been using their phytoplankton for about three month's and am very pleased with results. My Mandarin Goby loves them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back