Floor selection for reef room

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out my reef room and am leaning towards a tile floor, the room is currently carpeted. Any input out there as to what your experience has been and what type of flooring works best?

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
concrete w/epoxy?

you want something waterproof and smooth so any spills can be squeegeed up easily.

BNAVITSKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, there are a ton of options that you could go with. Ceramic tile is a great choice, epoxy is a good choice, staining concrete, you could go with lvt ( luxury vinyl tile) the vinyl plank or there is a product on the market called floorte, it's what the vinyl plank has evolved into it has the planking on the top but it is a pvc core so it's completely waterproof. There are a couple of those out there paradigm, vision etc. The first question to ask yourself is what look are you after wood, tile, something more exotic like cork or what?

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my own tile business for almost twenty years. I would recommend a porcelain tile. Porcelain is almost impervious. It has an absorption rate of less than half a percent. It comes in a vast variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and styles. There are even a wide variety of porcelain tiles that look just like hardwood. If you install a porcelain tile with epoxy grout it will be about the most water proof floor you could have. Depending on your subfloor you could use (and I highly recommend) Schluter Ditra under the tile. We use it instead of cement backer boards. After installing the Ditra you can flash the seams with another product called Kerdi Band. This will water proof the subfloor. Then you install the tileover it and grout. Schluter has a nice web site if you would like to research it for yourself. I recently tiled our living room floor using Ditra with a porcelain "wood look" tile and epoxy grout in preparation for a 300 DD from Marine Land that we just got. Anyway, just my opinion being a tile installer. Hope this helps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back