Kalkwasser Dosing Question

notto2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading right that you use Kalkwasser as your top off? Also would like to know if you do it? And why you like it or don't like it?

Thanks,
Natalie

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, Kalkwasser can be used to help maintain cal/alk as part of you top off. that is an up side. down side is you have to be careful, 1. dont enhale any, 2. can overdose you tank and cause death to all fish and coral.

best ways to run it is with an ATO and PH controler to monitor the ph in your tank so you dont overdose. having it driped overnigh when the PH in the tank is as its lowest. ph of a tank is like 8.2 during the day 7.8 at night. PH of kalk is 12.

would like to say after using it some of my sps's have gone nuts in growth.

Crooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its bad to drip it all day? I dont have an ato I just use a drip line. Recently I started using kalkwasser. I thought I have seen it run with ato only all day. How do you run yours only at night?

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a kalk reactor inline with my ATO 24/7. i use a letermeter3 as a dosing pump. it kicks on every 9 minutes and doses a small amount of ro/di water thru the reactor and into my sump. works great, no risk of overdosing, i'm loving it.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its bad to drip it all day? I dont have an ato I just use a drip line. Recently I started using kalkwasser. I thought I have seen it run with ato only all day. How do you run yours only at night?

i run mine from ATO to my rk unit and monitor which montiors my PH. it only runs at night. i did set it to run that way it just happens to work out that way, because of the way that the PH controler and the ATO run it. the system is set to run 24/7 but ph in a tank will be its lowest at night and it runs that most at night. by moring its toped off and the ph controler doesnt turn the TO on till the ph is lower then 8.1 or so. when the lights are on my ph is 8.2 to 8.35 maybe a little higher. so that control turns off the ATO. it alos turns the kalk unit off is ph get to 8.4.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip mine all day 24/7. I fill a 5 gallon food grade bucket and set it to drip about a drop every thirty seconds. This lasts me seven days. I have never had any problems with my ph (that I know of)when I have tested it has always been 8.3 . I am also not using kalkawasser that you buy at an lfs. I use a food grade lime (mississippi lime). There is another one out there in the supermarkets called Mrs. Wages pickleling lime that works just as well and costs half as much as an lfs.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to do the drip method, but as the jug gets lower there is less presure and the drip get slower, got a 7gal jug set it up with a Tom Lifter pump, $14.00 at MD, got a $14.00 digital timer, figured it out with how nuch I evap a day, for me about 5qts, set the timer to run 3min every 2hrs, works for me, I guess could set it to do the same amount just at night but the tank is happy, could it more happier if I just did at night I do not know?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back