Bulb change effects

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about going from a 10K to a 20K radium will this have an effect on my corals, will I have to move some. Are ther any ill effects.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this will affect your corals. You should adjust them to the new light (and you should be this any time you change bulbs- IMO). Lower the photoperiod and slowly increase it with time. Or you can use netting or something to screen the light. Or you can just move all your corals down and then up with time. I would suggest the lower photoperiod, it's easier. Good luck. The 20K Radium are great bulbs.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, shorten the photo period, you will like the 20K's you can turn off your Actinics while they are on because they are so blue. I started out with 10K's went to 14k's then to 20K's I love them!!!!!!!!!!!

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are some great blue MH bulbs. I have 14k Aquaconnects now because of the PAR and longevity and ATI True Actinic and B+ (I think it is B+). I love just having the actinics on with them. With that combination, my tank is a little bluer than Radiums alone.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to adjust the photoperiod - you would actually have to increase it or lower your lights.
It will be less par than the 10k's, so it would be the same as raising your 10k's up.

If it was me, I would just throw them in, leave the photoperiod the same and wait a few weeks and see what happens. Then if you aren't getting enough light, lower them accordingly.

There are some ballast/bulb combos that put out a decent amount of par in the 20k range, but not enough to match a 10k.

alien_frag_farm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sikryd. par level should be lower with the 20k, no need to adjust photo period. might notice a little slower growth but better coloration with the 20k.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...why shorten the photoperiod going to a lower PAR bulb? Doesn't make any sense. Your 10K is going to be more intense than your 20K.
Dave

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shorten the photo period depending on how old your 10k bulbs are. When I went from 14k to 20k I browned out a lot of corals and my bulbs were 10 months old.

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would just change the bulbs and leave the rest the same and wait one month. Some corals go through a two stage color change. A not so attractive transitionary change the the final color change. 20K bulbs can develop some very intense fluorescent green pigments that are awsome. I use Radium on my personal display and love the results.

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is one I just snapped. This is 250W Radium with one actinic and one actinic/white VHO. I don't like an overly blue tank and the actinic white gives me the look I like.

CRES180_9_09.jpg

J_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, shorten the photo period, you will like the 20K's you can turn off your Actinics while they are on because they are so blue. I started out with 10K's went to 14k's then to 20K's I love them!!!!!!!!!!!

which 20k's do you use. I am using gieseman, coralife, and reeflux (all 20k's DE) and I dont like any of the them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back