Lets see pics of the rarest coral you have ever had living in your tank.

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE FUN AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT KIND OF COOL STUFF THEY COULD HAVE IN THEIR TANK ONE DAY. Blue Lollypop Tunicate
TANKBUDDIES5.jpg

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the true rare corals in this hobby are butt ugly corals that would be difficult for most to identify. Rare color morphs of a species would be easier to i.d.

actually got it from my lfs in florida only one they had i believe he said it was a cross between a sponge and a coral thats why i posted it

Appearance wise, yes they are similar, but with regards to biological classification they are not even close... A tunicate is actually more closely related to vertebrates like fish than corals!

OP
OP
CHALICEKEEPER

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is posting pics so it can be anything rare that lives in your tank. I just want people new 2 this 2 see crazy stuff they can have in their tanks:haha:

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would make it an invert, not a coral.

Pretty neat either way...

A coral is an invertebrate, as it lacks anything resembling a spinal column (vertebrae) during development. A tunicate is a urochordate, which during development has a simple notochord.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt those are rare in the hobby and with the flood of corals from Australia, they are probably somewhat uncommon, and/or poor shippers.

How is the Archohelia doing for you?

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral is an invertebrate, as it lacks anything resembling a spinal column (vertebrae) during development. A tunicate is a urochordate, which during development has a simple notochord.

well, that shows what I know :nerd:

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Archohelia Rediviva... This is from a couple of months ago.

561574115_dS6mV-M.jpg
That is beautiful. Is it anywhere related to cyphastrea decadia? Kinda reminds me of that, at least in shape, but not color, of course. And what are those orange bristleworm looking things in the bottom right? Are they bristleworms?
Dave

Last edited:

Reefers Cove

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know if this is rare but i've been asking to other reefers about it and nobody can tell me the name, anyone here knows?
l_1175dd0f99e2447582c272c8ca272d28.jpg

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Archo has been doing ok. It's admittedly not quite as nice as that photo from a couple of months ago. It seems to have developed a little bit of brown short turf algae on the tips, I think it's getting a bit too much light, so I am going to move it into a darker spot of my tank. (It's not photosynthetic, so it needs to be fed regularly.) I feed it usually three times per week.

I wrote an article about it in Reef Hobbyist Magazine.

Reef Hobbyist Magazine - Volume 3 Issue 4

Those yellow orange things to the right of the coral are the arms of my brittle star. He's since been evicted to my other tank though. Too much of a food thief!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back