BEST Aiptasia Treatment I have Ever Used.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling Aiptasia in my 30" x 30" x 24" starfire cube tank for over a year. I have tried Joe's Juice, Aiptaisia X, Kalk paste, Peppermint Shrimp, and a Copperband Butterfly. The CBB didn't live, and the Peppermints didn't eat the aiptasia, or did not live after placement in the tank.

My experience until recently with chemical treatments was that when I used Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X or Kalk paste, it would cause the Aiptasia to shrink back for a couple days, but then there it would be again. I followed the product directions to the letter, but they just were not effective for me.

I was on the internet and came across this webpage, posted back in 2002, and it outlined the use of sodium hydroxide as an aiptasia eliminator.

Now, for those not familiar with this chemical, sodium hydroxide is also known as lye, which is a very caustic chemical with a pH of 13. It can burn skin, remove the anodization off metal, and pit aluminum. So please follow the directions outlined in the webpage carefully.

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...a_control.html

My experience with this method:

I mixed a two times normal solution (2N) of NaOH.

The webpage advises against using commercial drain opener, but I used ROOTO Brand crystal lye formula drain opener. It is all lye, but if anyone prefers, lab grade NaOH can be ordered online, but it costs a good bit more. The ROOTO lye is about $4 a jar, and is more than you will need in your lifetime. Available at any ACE Hardware Store. A 2N solution of NaOH uses 80 grams of NaOH in one liter of RODI. I used a digital scale, but 80 grams comes out to 1/3 cup. Mix the solution up in a plastic container you can seal up. It will get warm when you mix the lye and water together (exothermic reaction). And be VERY CAREFUL about fumes coming off the solution while it is warm right after mixing. It does not feel good to breath it in (personal experience).

What I found so nice about this method was that you don't have to get the NaOH slurry exactly on the aiptasia, but just next to it or near it for it to work. The webpage explains it quite well. Kind of like this stuff is a hand grenade, or napalm, where close kills, vs Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X, in which a bulls-eye is required for a kill.

This method also works very well for majano anemones. It dissolves them on contact

How I did it:

Follow the instructions about turning off all flow in the tank. I used a flashlight for dark areas of the rock to look for aiptasia, and be careful about what the NaOH slurry can fall onto. I basically treated every aiptasia I found with the NaOH on day 1, then repeated on Day 3, then repeated on Day 5. You must be willing to check and treat every other day several times in a row, until you don't see any more aiptasia. Observation is key, as some of the anemones will be too small to see initially, but become visible as they grow.

I started treatment on or around December 1. I treated about 40 aiptasias day 1, about 10 on day 3, about 3 on day five. I continued to observe every other day and picked up a few I didn't see the first few times, and have not seen any aiptasias in the tank for over 10 days now.

The webpage is totally correct about the NaOH not being harmful to the tank or inhabitants after it is diluted with tank water. NaOH (and KOH) is actually the main ingredient in a Seachem Aquavitro product called balance.

I have not seen a single aiptasia come back since I started treating my tank. I believe the key for success using this is sticking to the every other day inspection/treatment schedule until no more aiptasia are observed for at least 4-5 inspections, and repeated follow ups once a week until you are sure you have totally eliminated aiptasia from your tank.

Here are pics of the lye I used, and a pic of the syringe/applicators. I cut the tip off a bulb type syringe and use it for easy application, and I made a curved applicator by heating and bending a piece of 1/8" rigid airline tubing. Works well for under rocks. You can also use Joe's Juice applicators, or Aiptasia X applicators.

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. thanks for sharing. I got sick of fighting them so I ended up breaking my tank down and resarted it with dry rock so I dont have them anymore for now til I add somthin that has one on it that I dont catch.

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just posted i have this problem with my tank ....nice to see something like this

I posted this three weeks ago on my local reef club website, and it was actually your aiptasia thread that got me to post it here.
Dave

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is, my corals are packed into my tank, and the 12-15 aiptasia I have are right in among them...I would be worried of killing my corals too.

How little can you use if you can hit the aiptasia point blank?

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is, my corals are packed into my tank, and the 12-15 aiptasia I have are right in among them...I would be worried of killing my corals too.

I was not in that situation when I treated my tank. I'd say very little is needed.

You need to weigh the risk vs reward. My reward is an aiptasia free tank for the first time in over a year.

You might try a small amount on an aiptasia in your least favorite coral. Any chemical aiptasia treatments can hurt corals if if gets on them, but this stuff will dissolve it fast. I had some fall onto some meteor shower cyphastrea, and it dissolved it down to the skeleton in about 5 minutes. Not a big deal, the colony was big and the spot was small.

This lye treatment is also good for those nusiance corals that keep growing and encroaching onto others. Great for keeping those Monti Cap colonies in check.

I have also tried this on Valonia, but even this stuff doesn't seem to hurt it.
Dave

Last edited:

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had great luck with just Real peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
Acroholic

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great luck with just Real peppermint shrimp

IME, there really is no "this works 100% of the time" method of aiptasia control, whether it be berghia nudibranchs, peppermint shrimp, chemical preparations (this one included), Copperband butterflies, etc, etc. It seems like any of them can work great for some, and not great for others.

Please consider this just another weapon in the arsenal. But I will say that if you are willing to do what I outlined in the first post, the lye method eclipses any other chemical method of aiptasia I have ever tried. Just use proper care.

I think I know the reason no commercial comany sells and markets this as a means of control: too much liability because of the caustic nature of the lye.
Dave

Popain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching for a way to rid myself of the Xenia coral, that I foolishly put in my tank years ago. Sounds like this stuff would work

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on liveaquarias divers den and buy a bristletail filefish. Best purchase I ever made to help out with aiptasia, I've tried the injection stuff they came back bought the filefish and she eats them without hesitation, it cleared out a crazy amount of the aiptasia I had in a very short period of time

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on week 2 of my bhergia nudi's and I can visibly see the aiptasia receding back farther and farther every morning when the lights come on.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, this is quite interesting.... Scares me putting something like a drain cleaner in the tank, but wow. I know they are also using this product to regenerate GFO so go figure. I was successful with my CBB. it helped that I had a 180 full of them to feed on before taking prepared foods.

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything mentioned above as well as an aiptasia zapper. But not sodium hydroxide - that's an interesting find.

What worked for me is the same as Newb_reefer1, a bristletail filefish. She took a couple weeks to settle in after quarantine and then mowed the tank clean of aiptasia in a matter of a couple weeks. She now eats everything the other fish do (including nori!?) and, while quite far from a pretty fish, is certainly fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
Back