lfs horror stories!!!

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to a local Petland and an employee was bragging to me how he owns a 6 gallon nano tank. He proudly explains to me that he cycled it in 2 days, put in a percula clownfish, yellow watchmen goby and a green mandarin:cry::cry::cry:. He then brags, even though he has stock lights, that he just added a nice anemone to the mix:waaaht:. I try to explain to him that these are several bad ideas all bunched together but it goes in one ear and out the other:beat_shot:. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Last edited:

fishoutofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread will open a can of worms. LOL. I have seen alot of horror at lfs and have heard alot. this will be interesting to watch.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to cause a fight if anyone on here that works for them but Yes Petland does suck. I walked in to the one by my old house to get some kitty litter real quick and they where selling Tattooed Blood Parrot fish. I actually asked to speak to the manager and told him that I will never be coming back and I will be letting everyone I know and everyone in my local fish club know about this. He said the fish where fine and it does not hurt them. I have a tattoo on my arm and for me it did not hurt much but I am sure doing it to a fish is not good for the fish.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS still sells VHO's for 500+ dollers saying there the best things out there. There are a few people there that knows a few things but most of them doesnt know a goby from a monti.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amazing part of it is how much "knowledge" these young kids are imparting on their customers. Poor people are going to start up in the hobby and drop right out (most likely killing several creatures and fish along the way). I have nothing against any particular store, just some individuals hired by them.

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya know what as a past petland employee i would just like to say....

yall are absolutely right :) (except i know the difference between a monti and a goby... i've got goby polyps growing all over my live rock :xd: )

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS in my area sold a green moray to a woman who was looking to cycle a new tank. A 55 GALLON TANK!. Did I mention that the dealer tank was openly labeled with an ich outbreak warning. :waaaht: After warning the the woman I walked out and never laid foot in the place again.

fishoutofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to cause a fight if anyone on here that works for them but Yes Petland does suck. I walked in to the one by my old house to get some kitty litter real quick and they where selling Tattooed Blood Parrot fish. I actually asked to speak to the manager and told him that I will never be coming back and I will be letting everyone I know and everyone in my local fish club know about this. He said the fish where fine and it does not hurt them. I have a tattoo on my arm and for me it did not hurt much but I am sure doing it to a fish is not good for the fish.

That reminds me of a store in seattle that sells "I LUV YOU" tattood on parrot fish. they get them in for valentines day every year.

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a couple around here that sell tattooed fish. I just don't see the appeal. They must sedate them in some unethical way.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is one store near me that has a ton of hair algea and flat worms in their coral tank. also leave dead fish in the tanks.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really hurts our hobby, when people give out dumb ideas,and bad misinformed info, a lot of people are so disgusted when every thing in there tank dies because they did just what they were told. if they don't know then they should tell the customer they don't have that much knowledge in that field, it is almost criminal

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, back when I was unknowledgeable and had a 29g freshwater tank, I asked an employee at a petco if I could keep an african cichilid and three angelfish in the tank. Sadly I bought them and all the angel fish were dead in 2 days. I came back for a refund, but that didnt change the fact that the fish had died...:sad:

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what suxs is when the new customer gos home ad there fish die, they think its there {the customers} fault, puts the tank i the basement for the next ten years, and never gets to enjoy the hobby

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what suxs is when the new customer gos home ad there fish die, they think its there {the customers} fault, puts the tank i the basement for the next ten years, and never gets to enjoy the hobby

That's how I started in this hobby. Had a 30 gallon with a trigger, puffer + several others. Was young and dumb. Took all my advise from a lfs. Of coarse, there was no internet back then and I didn't get back into saltwater until 12 years later. Thank Goodness for this wealth of information!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a part time job working at Petco a couple years back. Need extra money. Well in the 6 months I worked there my manager received over a dozen complaints from people because I (to make it short) told them if they got that fish it would die in their tanks. But I will say this. I had alot more people go to the manager and thank him because I warned them first so they did not waste their money. Most of the people who complained thought they new more then me because I was young.

I can remember one lady who came in and wanted a baby Oscar for her 20 gallon that was full of neon tetras. She told me that oscars are nice and do not get big. She has had them before. I politely informed her they are mean and get Huge. She actually looked at me called me a liar and asked how I knew. I took my phone out of my pocket and showed her my two Oscars in the 120 I had that where both right at 15". She still did not believe me. I gave up.

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a brilliant entrepreneur on the space cost that has figured out how to capitalize and turn ordinary tank maintenance into a profitable endeavor. They sell the standard R/O water and saltwater by the gallon. But rather than purchasing salt water pulled from the ocean they've found they can turn a cherry profit by pulling the saltwater out of their system.

Now that, my friends, is a brilliant business man. Did I mention he uses it in his tank maintenance too?

If you live on the Space Coast of Florida and you've been battling hair algae the cat is out of the bag :sad:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes my gf recently went to work at petland and they are just as bad.... they do not give out any info and do not ask any questions to people who are wanting the fish. they just want to sell sell sell by what she says. she has more people come back to her then any of the other fish people becuase she actually trys to inform them on what they need and need to do before they just dive in head first.

she has even sent them away from her store to the LFS that actually knows and helps people becusae she knew they needed to get some more knowlege that she couldnt give

its sad that these chain stores buy and kill all these animals and dont even care as long as they are getting money off them.

the petco in the next town over from me is just as bad... when i first started they sold me 3 false perc clowns and didnt even bother to tell me that one would end up being killed.....well after doign a little research i went back bought a divider and then found a home for the solo perc. so thankfully he got to live on in a 140gal and have all the room he needed

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS was selling some live rock for a new setup and I heard them tell the customer "You can tell the live rock is healthy by all the aiptaisia growing on it."

Back