Bean Animal Overflow Question

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up plumbing for my tank and selected the bean animal style overflow. I have an external overflow box out of my 135g cube. I run 3x 1.5" drains, one emergency siphon, one siphon and one open chanel siphon. These are vertical standpipes coming down from the external overflow box which are connected to a 90 elbow and another 90 elbow draining to the sump.

I run an Eheim 1262 return pump at full speed, no restrictions and it seems to fill my overflow up to the drain pipes but seems to have a very toilet gurgling noise coming from the siphon and open chanel siphon.

Any idea what I did wrong?

* i didn't know how to rotate some pics :eek:oh:

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 540
  • photo-12.JPG
    photo-12.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 328
  • photo-13.JPG
    photo-13.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,002

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell for sure from your pictures but the full siphon should have a gate valve to regulate the flow. 1 1/2 drain can handle way more than the eheim is putting out so you have to turn down the siphon so you aren't sucking air

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have a ball valve dialed down on the middle siphon, but the open chanel continues to siphon much faster than my eheim can return.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might have to turn a second elbow up so that it isnt taking away from the full siphon. The full siphon pipe should handle 99-100% of the flow, the second one just handles the little bit that the first is out of adjustment, the third is emergency. If its making noise you are sucking air and you shouldn't be

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to me that the open chanel pipe is taking on the most of the flow, while the full siphon pipe is siphoning prob half of it. The open chanel pipe sucks in a mass amt of water at once then makes the overflow box empty as its flushing a toilet, then its normal again then flushes again.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesn't sound like the full siphon is starting... you got way to much overflow for that pump lol..... a single 1.5" full siphon can handle 4000+ gallons easy wide open...... adjust the siphon to where it is the only one running the open channel doesn't need water in your case.... also make sure your pipes in the sump don't go below the water line more than 1/2" to 3/4" this will cause the siphon to not start correctly....

OP
OP
H

Hungriee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesn't sound like the full siphon is starting... you got way to much overflow for that pump lol..... a single 1.5" full siphon can handle 4000+ gallons easy wide open...... adjust the siphon to where it is the only one running the open channel doesn't need water in your case.... also make sure your pipes in the sump don't go below the water line more than 1/2" to 3/4" this will cause the siphon to not start correctly....

so in other words I should restrict the open chanel siphon to maximize the full siphon pipe, right? I do have my pipes in my sump abuot 5" below the water - That could be the cause of the crazy bubbles. I'm going to give this a try - thanks man.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back