Hydrogen Peroxide Equals Torch Death

Lt Nos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped a free torch coral frag that I got with some feather culerpa on it, 50/50 solution for three minutes and all the tentacles of the torch filled up with air bubbles and popped :eek:ps: Now they all have holes in them and I'm wondering if the frag will recover. So note to others trying out the Hydrogen Peroxide dip technique. It may Duke Nukem your Torch/frog/Hammer's.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped SPS & LPS, but I use a more diluted solution. I use about 25 percent H2O2 and 75 percent tank water. Zoas & sticks seem to handle it the best. The only LPS I've tried was a chalice and it looked pretty ticked off, but it did end up surviving.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the benefit of H2O2 over other dips?

Dipping is not just a one-off thing, as in "just dip the coral to make it better"- So I can't really say how it benefits more than others, instead that H202 works good for removing hair algae off of frag plugs, as well as treating zoa's for some fungal infections (check out the zoa forum, there's a really good write-up stickied there)

For LPS and SPS, I still prefer just scraping the frag plugs off of any possible algae, for ailments, I'll use coralRX on stonies, and revive and/or Iodine on LPS/Zoas

OP
OP
Lt Nos

Lt Nos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Keds Reds had the feather Calerpa too and looked like hell too, I hope they perform as promised. There skin is now covered with tiny bubbles under there skin.

Reminds me of the Gremlins movie.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would stick to revive or lugols based for preventitive type dips - h2o2 in my opinion seems extreme and wouldn't even consider it unless it was absolutly necessary and then probably still not on sps / lps frags

Leonard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 will "burn" all tissue, not just that of unwanted pests. So that's why I am curious why people are now resorting to peroxide for dips over the other, gentler dips like lugols and revive and medicated solutions (FWE, CoralRX, antibiotics). Killing surface algae does not seem to warrant the risk to me.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 will "burn" all tissue, not just that of unwanted pests. So that's why I am curious why people are now resorting to peroxide for dips over the other, gentler dips like lugols and revive and medicated solutions (FWE, CoralRX, antibiotics). Killing surface algae does not seem to warrant the risk to me.

H202 is safe for many zoa's, IMO due to their durability if nothing else, and it is very effective for killing off unwanted pests, algae, and fungus. I think because of the success with zoa's, people are trying it on a lot of other varieties, and having mixed results as of yet. It's one of those "new" things that's currently just undergoing the experimental phase, so we're going to see a lot of failure stories along with the success stories.

That said, I've had revive melt more than a few corals, so I wouldn't consider it a gentle dip- it's still another tool that works in the best application and not in others.

OP
OP
Lt Nos

Lt Nos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keds Reds back with a force today and I think the algae has had it, the Torch looks better today and may just make it after all. I'll keep updating as I'm sure a few are curious.

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Revive etc. to dip my corals and kill many pest but does it kills off algae also?

Regarding H2O2 if you don't feel comfortable with it don't use it!
That being said I used it on LR and the rock became completely free of algae.
Even dipped an Acan in a weak H2O2 solution and got rid of the algae. 10 minutes after he was back in the tank he opened up like nothing happened.
Just my experience and no guarantee it will work for others....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people add the coral in a bucket of tank water and then dump peroxide in it until the algae starts bubbling....somewhere around 30 to 40 percent i would guess.....

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip polyps in 100% even, but yeah no other corals can be dipped in hydrogen peroxide that I know of :(

C

OP
OP
Lt Nos

Lt Nos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch looks to have made it but the tentacles look funny now. Zoas look fine, still waiting to see of the culerpa dies off completely. If I do it again I think I may hold the coral above the solution and just dip the rock for three minutes, then drop the whole thing in for an additional two minutes and reduce the mix to a 60/40. Overall I'd do it again for my average stuff.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have played around with this a few times lately on a few polps that had some HA. I used 50/50 for about 4 mins. Took about 2 days later but the frag plugs were algae free. The polyps were not sick in any way and I was just dipping for an attempt at HA removal. For any other issue I will most likely stick to the other popular dips. I do like to have some fun with this hobby and try new things from time to time, so I dipped a one head prisim favia that has been slowley getting snuffed out by various algae. On the first day it looked really bad. FF 2 days later and the favia is looking like it's gonna make it(for now) and the algae's are all but gone from what I can see. I would like to play with some coral RX as well for HA but have not purchased any yet. I would have though if it was availible from my local super market :neutral:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back