OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on it Marc when the new tank goes up I will prolly use like 100gal of new sw and re-use what's in the display to fill the rest approximately 100gallons of used water... That would be a 50 percent change... Ahahahahah

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 no pellets.... Glad to report my tank looks awesome now!!!! Water is crystal clear sps are looking better than ever and the couple pieces that were receding are making a nice recovery!!!!! All the cyano has disappeard that I had just a couple small patches nothing major... Did exp a loss today a chalice of all things...:( all my challies looked great while I had the pellets online so I'm not sure if this is any way related or just one of those things... Don't ask!!!!! It will be dearly missed.....:(

Sorry about your losses man but really glad to hear things are looking better

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your aversion to water changes, especially when corals are dropping like flies? I don't love them, but to take 20 minutes out once a month to do one isn't a big deal. I hate walking around barrels of saltwater in my kitchen, which is why I built the fishroom with a giant poly tank specifically to hold saltwater so that would never happen again. Gotta make it easy, then you'll do it more often. If it's tough, you'll never do it.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly never had luck doing them I mean yeah they always worked but it seemed my tank would never stable out.... Every time I changed the water my params would jump around for a few days... Never saw anything bad from it but when I got lazy my tank went from okay to thriving!!!! The params were holding stable and sps didn't just survive they thrived!!!!! So I went like 2 months between them and didn't notice a difference in anything so I said screw it and gave up....Never had a problem until now...

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I'm sorry your tank has had its recent issues.

Just for the point of discussion, keep in mind that a tank can look really good for a long time and then seemingly start to implode. I liken that to when you have a test kit and you are adding drop after drop, shaking the tube between drops. It'll be blue the entire time until the one drop that changes it to yellow. Our tanks can be that way too, doing well for a long time until it hits that tipping point. Some people call it Old Tank Syndrome. I call it Lazy Reefer Syndrome. After all, in the beginning we are all over it and keep things clean as a whistle. Then life gets busy, it gets away from us, we know we need to spend some quality time on the tank, which means hours of labor, we eventually get around to it, and things look a little better. We used to test water all the time, and now we look at corals for indication of what's going on, testing more sporadically. The test kits are right there, but do we pick them up and use them weekly?

I'm guilty of this stuff too. The more time you put into something, usually the better it will turn out.

jonzee2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there could be a contaminent in the water I would run a but ton of carbon just to make sure. I had a friend missing with his tank shirtless, scratched his arm pits and dropped deodorant in his tank. I KNOW SOUNDS RIDICULOUS BUT TRUE STORY and his tank was gone in a week. could very well be something you cant test for

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch!!!!! i know it very well could have been.... there is no sure fire way to tell if it was the pellets or not.... you don't hear much about tanks crashing either no one wants to talk about it so we can learn and figure out whats really going on....it's always positive or bragging about there tanks never the downs on any boards.... im not sure if people are embarrassed or what the deal is i mean were all human...:tongue:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be the first to say, my tank is about as down as it gets. Dinos killed everthing, and still trying to recover. Well at least my fish and my 5 or 6 zoa frags are doing good. I have a very bare 125:cry:. The sad thing is dinos have killed everything i had in my last 2 tanks. But now i have the key to killing them hahaha

Hydrogen peroxide....my new best friend

bob

GrampaDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I'm sorry your tank has had its recent issues.

Just for the point of discussion, keep in mind that a tank can look really good for a long time and then seemingly start to implode. I liken that to when you have a test kit and you are adding drop after drop, shaking the tube between drops. It'll be blue the entire time until the one drop that changes it to yellow. Our tanks can be that way too, doing well for a long time until it hits that tipping point. Some people call it Old Tank Syndrome. I call it Lazy Reefer Syndrome. After all, in the beginning we are all over it and keep things clean as a whistle. Then life gets busy, it gets away from us, we know we need to spend some quality time on the tank, which means hours of labor, we eventually get around to it, and things look a little better. We used to test water all the time, and now we look at corals for indication of what's going on, testing more sporadically. The test kits are right there, but do we pick them up and use them weekly?

I'm guilty of this stuff too. The more time you put into something, usually the better it will turn out.

Agree^^

I have been watching this thread [curious] then to see the outcome from the pellet issue]
I will admit I'm guilty as heck sometimes as well.[read lazy] And FWIW I tried the refugium/ low input/ no water change thing as well. < till it got ugly. And I fixed it with 25% WC weekly for 6wk till it got back to normal.

Now nearly evey time things dont go well ,it's from slacking on my WC. ,so I get back on it. Problems solved.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Paul (the guy with the 40-year-old tank) about whether he does water changes or not. He said that he does water changes 5 to 6 times per year.

CJ

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he actually uses the water from a local sea also.... I remember reading his thread where he used mud from the ocean to get the beneficial bacteria also.. Most likely I will give water changes a shot on my new tank but for now I'm gonna gonna let this tank ride out.... Should be swapping them soon....;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update on this my tank has been doing sweet since the last update no losses and some incredible growth and colors for everything that made it!!!!!! Besides my flamethrower and rising sun they still haven't budged lol..... Dang tank is doing so well it's making it really hard to downgrade....:(

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update on this my tank has been doing sweet since the last update no losses and some incredible growth and colors for everything that made it!!!!!! Besides my flamethrower and rising sun they still haven't budged lol..... Dang tank is doing so well it's making it really hard to downgrade....:(

Excellent news that things are rebounding so nicely!!! Glad to hear No losses too and things are growing....so ya keeping the tank LOL

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope you knocked on some wood after typing that.

Glad to read everything is doing well and the tank has turned around. Tank crashes are very scary and disheartening for everyone.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah i want my hot rod well rat rod that is so i gotta downgrade plus im only renting right now and i will prolly move once or twice before i have a place call home so it's a wise choice imho no need to keep breaking down and setting up these monster tanks.......
Excellent news that things are rebounding so nicely!!! Glad to hear No losses too and things are growing....so ya keeping the tank LOL

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah i want my hot rod well rat rod that is so i gotta downgrade plus im only renting right now and i will prolly move once or twice before i have a place call home so it's a wise choice imho no need to keep breaking down and setting up these monster tanks.......

Yeah moving around is tough even for a small tank - I am helping my friend next month with his move uggghh. So what hot/rat rod you talking about huh??

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear everything is back to normal. Did you ever figure out what caused your tank crash?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted this one but I'm sure it will be gone before I get all the loot....
Derail!!!! Ahahahah
55e21bb8.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back