tank crashing......

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy,

Is it possible to use a mag cleaner and run it around in the sand in your tank to check for any stray metal that may have gotten in there?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where this whole peroxide thing came from??? That was months before any of this including the pellets what ever result they had would have been detrimental back then not 7 months later.... Don't ya think???

Merely suggesting the peroxide along with the pellets. Didn't realize you stopped the peroxide 7 months ago. Although with no water changes who knows. Dunno just guessing.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, after the help i got from your dino thread, i figure a shot in the dark is all i could do

Bob

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I quit after 10days upon farther research... I will check but I only have 2 pumps that could have been effected because my vortecs are new and the others I have took apart numerous times and there is a single tiny stainless nut on the end of impeller like a 1/8" on laguna pumps... Hmmmm I will check all that when I get home....

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run some poly filter and see what color it turns. With the pellets off-line you will know in a few weeks if things settle down. Also as being one of the first 2-3 people in the country to use the zeovit method I have seen many things. With z the flow over the stones is very important. I just wonder it some people having problems and some not have anything To do with the flow rate though the pellets? Since no manufacturer lists a proper flow rate it wOuld he hard to really figure this out. Just another shot in the dark.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, after the help i got from your dino thread, i figure a shot in the dark is all i could do

Bob
I greatly appreciate it man honestly... The rusted metal was something I have not checked and I will I leave my mag cleaner in the tank so it could very well be the problem... Thank you for the suggestions...;)

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, Nothing worse than seeing all your sticks melt away and nothing you can do about it. I lost all my sps in my 90 cube last year from a dino problem. Wish i knew the peroxide trick back then.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. That's why I added about Troylee and myself running our systems the very similar. Something just doesn't add up to me with the pellets being the cause. The same thing happened a couple years back when vodka dosing came on the scene. Everyone attributed the vodka to every problem they had including tank crashes. Most of the time, it was user error. Unless there is a contamination issue with a certain batch I just don't see it.

Paul - Do you dose all those additives that Lee listed as well? (Not counting the CA, ALK and Mag as those are standard and can be tested for).

Gary's been running the Vertex pellets on his NPS tank with great results, but does not dose anything other than his standard B-Ionic 2 part which he's done for years. Is there ever a chance that all those additives can get to a coral toxic level? I don't like dosing anything if I can't test for it!

Also, with those pulling the pellets offline, do you stop dosing all those chemicals at the same time?

Just curious as I have pellets and a reactor on order ;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i have always dosed all them chems even before the crash or pellets.... maybe the pellets react with one i don't know i use very little amounts of each but i do use them daily..... same routine sunnyx has got most of my research done in his threads his tank is a proven example... i should of kept following his footsteps when he said he would never use the pellets just for the sole fact that vodka is so cheap and works so well....:(

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i have always dosed all them chems even before the crash or pellets.... maybe the pellets react with one i don't know i use very little amounts of each but i do use them daily..... same routine sunnyx has got most of my research done in his threads his tank is a proven example...(

But were you doing water changes prior when you were dosing all of them?

Just curious, does Sonny do water changes?

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still wondering about this...

Just run some poly filter and see what color it turns. With the pellets off-line you will know in a few weeks if things settle down. Also as being one of the first 2-3 people in the country to use the zeovit method I have seen many things. With z the flow over the stones is very important. I just wonder it some people having problems and some not have anything To do with the flow rate though the pellets? Since no manufacturer lists a proper flow rate it wOuld he hard to really figure this out. Just another shot in the dark.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it is from a very small amount of metal rusting it might not even be enough to register on a poly filter, but it is worth a shot to make sure no other contaminants are present

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have not seen any real published flow rates either, everyone just says make sure it is a slow tumble.

bob

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one do not think a little rust will do what's happening. Remember what gfo is people. Most of us use it constantly. Many people grasp at whatever they see out of the norm at times like this. Some see some rust and bam it has to be rust but People have had rusting screw heads on certain pumps for Years without ill effects. Granted over time without water changes could lead to unusual high levels of certain elements. I for one think that water changes need to done atleast monthly. If not for nutrient depletion for the sheer fact of accumulating elements we r unable to test for in a closed system.

Peace

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to find some poly filter I doubt anyone in town carries it our Lfs suck!!!!!
Isn't gfo a rust thou it's solid iron ore or something similar I remember reading about the chineese using nails for gfo in the tanks... I wish we had some pure iron that wasn't contaminated with other metals it would help my pocket book out lol.... Rawaphos is black gold man very expensive but the best on the market...

Last edited:

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to find some poly filter I doubt anyone in town carries it our Lfs suck!!!!!
Isn't gfo a rust thou it's solid iron ore or something similar I remember reading about the chineese using nails for gfo in the tanks... I wish we had some pure iron that wasn't contaminated with other metals it would help my pocket book out lol.... Rawaphos is black gold man very expensive but the best on the market...
Yes Troy that's what I was stating above. Granular ferric oxide is just that. I actually feel the best is brs hc gfo.

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the big crash. I would try to lesson the toxicity in the tank with large water changes that have similar parms as the existing water. My 110lb rare earth magnets that were suppoting my tunzes were melting in the water for a long time before they were taken care of. I mainly saw less polyop extention and maybe 1 or 2 acros die, but I was doing water changes at the time. Then coated with epoxy to end the deterioration in the tank.

"Dilution is the solution to pollution"

Wish you had banked some corals with me. Could have got u back in the game quick. I can hook you up with a bunch of frags from my qt tank when u ready ;)

Last edited:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one do not think a little rust will do what's happening. Remember what gfo is people. Most of us use it constantly. Many people grasp at whatever they see out of the norm at times like this. Some see some rust and bam it has to be rust but People have had rusting screw heads on certain pumps for Years without ill effects. Granted over time without water changes could lead to unusual high levels of certain elements. I for one think that water changes need to done atleast monthly. If not for nutrient depletion for the sheer fact of accumulating elements we r unable to test for in a closed system.

Peace

It depends on what is rusting and what other metals it releases. here is a thread from a local guy who had magnets rust and kill off his sps Neodymium Magnets rusted in my tank - 50% SPS loss - Reef Central Online Community

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have done this for a long time and do not buy that this was the sole cause of destruction. Most r to proud to admit mistakes many point fingers. I would love to see daily alk tests on tanks experiencing these problems. With rapid sps growth requires large amounts of alk/ca additions. At times on my 240 i was adj doses weekly to cover the increased growth rates. On my fully stocked sps tank years ago my ca rx stopped working and within a couple days of testing I was down to 4.5 alk. Let's just say it was not a happy ending.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back