Question and Answer with Brett from the TV Show TANKED

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember the TANKED question thread I put together for you all to participate in? Well I chose many of your questions and Brett from TANKED sent us some answers.

brett-raymer-175.jpg

Who are the majority of your clients, private or corporate/business owners?
It's 50/50, we have an equal balance of both.

Would you do another show that requires you to go and "resurrect" and/or install custom tanks in selected homes as in Pimp My Ride reality show?
Absolutely, we love what we do, and the more creative the project, the more we're likely to take it on.

aa_3.jpg

What is largest Reef setup you have done and what were the specifications of it?
A 3,000 gallon aquarium at a church in Brooklyn, but we've built aquariums that hobbyists set up that have been larger.

What are their personal tanks? What do they have or own?
Wayde has a 96x36x48 see through salt water aquarium with coral insert in his theater room looking into the dining room. I'm working on mine…..still looking for the right house.

Do they deal with reef tanks? Or just fish only?
We do everything.

resta_lg.jpg

Live rock sump, or large refugium, which one do they prefer and why?
No preference, we cater to the customer, depending on the application, we use both.

Based upon all of your tank building experience, what would be one of your dream reef tank builds and why?
I'd like to do an outdoor reef pond with basement viewing windows.

What are some lessons that you learned "the hard way" when you first began building tanks?
That the customer's always right…..we've had to re-do a few tanks because of it.

300.jpg

What has been the craziest request from a customer? Did you do it?
A customer wanted to dive into his pool and while under water be able to look through a window in his basement to see his aquarium…..we got it done.

What do they think is the most common misconception people have about saltwater tank keeping?
That you can put fish into an aquarium and be done with it. Not the case, fish are pets, you have to care for them just as much as a cat or dog.

Are there any animals in the hobby that they refuse to put in a tank?
No, but being in Las Vegas limits our access to some fish. Some are illegal due to the fact that we have a lake, so those are the fish we try to stay clear from….example: piranha or alligator gars.

What is the most expensive build you have ever completed and what made it so expensive?
A $4.7 million arch aquarium that we built for IBOC (Inspiring Body of Christ) church in Dallas, TX…..70,000 gallons of magnificence.

new5.jpg

What was the most challenging tank build you have done that pushed the limits the furthest on tank design, artistic aquascaping or stock list?
Malibu Lumber Yard…..outdoor tanks in California that required specific California theming, specific state fish that divers had to go catch, cold water species and adjustments that were made due to outdoors weather fluctuations.

What is the biggest mistake you have made doing a installation and how did you learn from it?
We're mark all our fittings now after we glue them……after learning that there's a possibility your employees might forget to glue a fitting. Can you imagine that we had to learn this the hard way.

Have you ever had a request that you could not do? and what would that be?
There's never been one that we haven't tried, we try to do everything that's requested, but all projects that are designed need to be tweaked to be perfected.

25.jpg

What are the most common misleading factors when it comes to tank maintenance?
That you don't have to put time & effort into an aquarium….again, fish are pets, they need care….you can't just dump them in & expect them to thrive.

What was the hardest part of starting there company? (Finding Clients, finding a way to make the tanks, etc..)
The hardest part was getting the word out, luckily the internet was starting to thrive and we took advantage of that.

Has the oil prices going up made a difference in price for the acrylic for them?
Absolutely, once oil prices spike, so does the acrylic. We were not immune to the economic collapse, but we're recovering now.

tank2.png

Are you hiring skilled acrylic fabricators? (HA)
We're always looking.

How did they get started? Did they start with such massive tanks?
Wayde was in the business from childhood and worked for a company that manufactured aquariums. Around the same time that Wayde met me, the owner decided to retire and they started ATM. After 5 years, ATM became #1 in custom shapes and sizes.

Does the size of the company reflect the size of the tanks they are willing to do? (Large Only?)
Absolutely not, we'll build a 50 gallon or a million gallon tank, we do it all.

res_51.jpg

Do they have any customers who have wanted some sort of custom nano tank?
We have customers that want all shapes and sizes. We have had many requests for acrylics close to the size of a nano.

We would like to thank Brett from ATM and TANKED the TV Series for taking time out to share this info with R2R.

Brett Raymer is the COO of Acrylic Tank Manufacturing (ATM), and you couldn't build a tank big enough to hold his larger-than-life ideas and personality. Originally from Brooklyn, New York and ever ready to take on a new venture, Brett jumped at the opportunity to help his family create their tank-building dream in Las Vegas. Wayde and Brett started the company before Wayde and Heather were married and the company is still thriving. Known for his ability to wheel and deal and his somewhat impulsive confidence, Brett has brought Wayde some of his most loyal clients. Though some days Wayde wishes Brett would slow down, Brett believes that if you can dream it, ATM can build it. He said seeing the face of someone enjoying a tank is priceless.

Growing up, Brett went to Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn. He excelled in athletics including tennis, football and swimming. Now, Brett prefers sports from the sidelines, bringing his years of experience and enthusiasm to his daughter’s volleyball team, which he coaches. He is a single dad, and when he’s not caring for fish and fish tanks, he’s spending time with his two children, Kayla and Bryce.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bustell_family_3_lg.png

overhang.jpg

hotel_com1.jpg

aa_5.jpg

858.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
605.jpg

233.jpg

231.jpg

200.jpg

26.jpg

20.jpg

16.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tanks. Would love to have them make me a tank one day. But I would want to help....

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool tanks. The tanks in the two churches make me sick though. i would turn around and walk out just based on that gross display of poor fund managment alone.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool tanks. The tanks in the two churches make me sick though. i would turn around and walk out just based on that gross display of poor fund managment alone.

The only thing is that we don't know the situation. There may be some rich hobbyist that said he wanted to put a tank in the church and he was paying for it. We never know. But let's not debate it here. Start a thread bro and we can! :D Or I may be dreaming of someone at my church like that.. :tongue:

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome Rev! and those pictures are amazing! ATM built my 600g back in 2005, they were actually one of the cheapest in the USA :)

Anyway, fun post :)

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. Great read and love all of the pics. The creativity of the aquarium shapes are just insane!

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plain awesome. I always thought the fake inserts were tacky but the way these guys make them they actually look awesome. Makes me want to have a custom fish only now....
Thanks alot for taking time to answer these questions. I am a big fan of the show.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I gotta check out the IBOC one in Dallas next time I'm visiting family! 70,000 gallons is insane.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet Marc share away!

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool thread. Thanks to Rev and Brett. I love the photos. I'm warming up to the show, but my kids love it. It's our family tv time for the week.

So are we going to get these guys to join this community?

I'm heading to Vegas in November. I hope I can see some of their cool tanks. It would be nice to get a list of some of their public veiwable tanks.

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rev and Brett. the Q&A was a great idea!! my whole family sits down to watch the show(DVR). The dad is my favorite person on the show, and the practical joke are great too!!

Jared

Lynnmw1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that tank with the pendants over it just makes my jaw drop!! what wonderful aquariums these guys build! I am wondering if I could do LED pendants like that above my tank now... hmmmmm lol

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Guys....

one problem.... NO SKIMMERS ! I dont get to see skimmers anywhere. THe only one I seen was the huge Bermuda skimmer at the fish place. C'mon guys Maybe a small shout out to Mojo would be good too..... lol.

I enjoy the show. Lots of good ideas. I think its great to have the guys sharing and doing some Q&A here too.

Thanks Rev for bringing it here.

Back